installing the Raystar

Previous topic - Next topic

gerard

I have just bought the Raymarine C70 with the Raystar 125. I have a few questions: What is the best location on the stern for the Raystar receiver?
And is there anybody who can give me a smart advice how to install the wiring easily through the RVS stern stanchion?
Gerard de Graag   # 1751
Herkingen Marina
the Netherlands

Ken Juul

You can place it anywhere on the stern rail, the only cautions are to keep it away from anywhere it may get covered by someone sitting in the stern rail seats, and far enough away from the stern gate that it doesn't get smashed when boarding with your arms full.

When I installed mine I tried to use the same routing as the stern light.  There was not enough clearance.  What I ended up doing was to tie the cable to the nearest stantion post with zip ties and drilling a new hole for the Raystar cable.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

gerard

The arrow is my proposed Raystar position. But I have some problems with the wiring at the crossing (circled) of the pipes. Is the stern crossing blocked? Is the horizontal pipe uninterrupted?  I do not want to use zip ties.
Gerard de Graag   # 1751
Herkingen Marina
the Netherlands

Steve Sayian

Mine is mounted on an arm that extends above the radar antenna.  The antenna is mounted on an Edson mast on the Starboard Stern outboard seat.

Depending on where/how your radar antenna is mounted may offer another solution.
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

rirvine

I mounted mine on top rail on the port side half way between the gate opening and the curve to the seat.  I ran the wires through the upper pipe of the stern rail by drilling one hole through the forward mounting base from inside the cockpit locker and another under the mounting point – wiring is completely enclosed.  You also have to cut the wire the thread it through the railing.  All this takes a little while but you end up with a very neat installation.

Ray

gerard

Ray,

Is it possible that you give me more precisely the location of your drilling holes and the mounting position. Perhaps a photo or a sketch? It seems a very neat solution.
Gerard de Graag   # 1751
Herkingen Marina
the Netherlands

Jack Hutteball

I installed mine on top of the pedestal guard above the navpod instrument housings.  It is really easy to run the wiring from the navpod up through the pedestal guard to the antenna.  There is really no problem looking past it.  You are generally off to one side sailing the boat anyway.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

rirvine

You can see the GPS receiver in the photo at:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/crews_nest/2325028085/

The GPS is mounted on the port side stern rail.  The wires enter the rail via hole drilled through the forward most stern rail mounting bracket (and through the deck).  I drilled through from inside the locker between the two bolts that hold the stern rail to the deck.  Hope this helps.

Ray

gerard

Thanks Ray, sorry for my late reaction. This weekend I shall mounted my GPS according to your advice.
Gerard de Graag   # 1751
Herkingen Marina
the Netherlands

tonywright

Just be aware that an arm resting on top of the unit will cut off the signal. Anyone sitting in a perch seems to like to rest their arms along the top of the stern rail, and presto, no GPS! The good news is that service is usually restored after a short delay when the arm is moved. Just make sure that no-one sits there when navigating a tricky passage!

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada