vinyl life line covers

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

HI, the lifeline covers on my boat are cracked and are missing pieces, does anyone know where I can get the life line vinyl covers, the ones I have are split so I can put them on over the existing life lines.  The ss  3/16" line seems fine, I am in lake superior.  Bob on "Ghostrider" Catalina 34, 1988,  Thank you
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Steve Sayian

Bob,

I've never heard of replacing the vinyl on the lifelines. 
You replace the entire lifeline cable (and fittings).

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I think Bob may be talking about the covers comonly used to put on shrouds. I guess you could put it on lifelines but the lifelines are made either with or without the vinyl coating. Many people prefer to use it without to prevent hidden rust problems, others prefer the  look of the white molded on vinyl.

We have choices!!   :D
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Oh yea, the covers are available at West Marine and most marine suppliers.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Jon Schneider

FWIW, I would NOT use those vinyl covers.  My PO had them on the backstay bridle and I immediately removed them only to find soot and mildew... not good for the SS.  I just replaced my lifelines this year, and chose to go with uncoated wires.  They look GREAT.  The ship looks much smarter, and as far as I can tell, there's no real hand-feel difference. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Bob : I wouldn't go with those shroud covers.  I've said many times that when I get new life lines they will be the bare stainless.  All I see is that the vinyl covering means is more work cleaning them and they can/will trap salt water which corrodes the wire. 
BTW, for the same price you can buy the next larger wire size if you get the uncoated wire!!
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 14, 2008, 02:47:48 PM
BTW, for the same price you can buy the next larger wire size if you get the uncoated wire!!

Ron, not true.  Your current fittings won't fit, and that's a third of the price at least.  I was actually going to go to 3/8th wire, but when I was informed that it would be over twice what a 1/4" replacement would be, I thought better of it.  I was afraid that 1/4" bare wire would feel puny.  It doesn't feel that way at all, and it looks just right in terms of an aesthetics ratio to the boat.  I actually did replace all of my fittings, except for the gate locks, because I didn't like the fact that CY used closed turnbuckles (you can't see what's going on inside).  I'd invest in that upgrade before I went to a larger gauge wire that's unnecessary.  Of course, if you have all the money in the world... (it's still unnecessary).
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

A bit o'acetone works wonders on the old ones.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : The restriction of the wire for the life lines is the diameter of the sewage fitting going thru the the stanchions NOT the diameter of the wire itself!   The grommets thru the stanchions are 3/8" that's why you can't use your old rigging 1/4" wire from the inner stays because the sewage is just slightly larger than 3/8"!  
There are many sizes of wire between the normal 3/16" vinyl coated and a sewage that will go thur the 3/8" grommet.  
Even 7/32" bare wire is cheaper than the vinyl coated 3/16".  BTW, All of the off shore boat ARE required to use bare not vinyl coated life line wire.

Sure acetone or Jon's MEK will clean the vinyl, it the fact that with bare wire there is NO cleaning and NO hidden corrosion.  A few thoughts.   

Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Don't use acetone or M.E.K. on vinyl unless you also plan to then wax them, because they will soften the vinyl and it will collect more dirt.  Use Amazing Roll-Off. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

RV61

I put on the life line covers on that were purchased from west marine. Any yes this is the white vinyl  covers. They came in several sizes depending on the wire you have. Cant remember size for my boat.   When I do it again I would replace the lines  if neaded instead as they are a pain to put on, If lines are still good I will take covers off and run bare. They slide a little and overall after 3 years they look only OK as they are sold in sections.. I am in fresh  water and have taken of sections for inspection with no issues of corrosion found.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Mike Vaccaro

Rick,

The most inexpensive solution is to simply strip the remaining vinyl from your wires (a razor box cutter works well for this).  Vinyl covered stainless is not recommended for lifelines, since it allows unseen corrosion (offshore racing rules prohibit its use for this reason). 

Split vinyl sleeves are available for different wire sizes, but this is really intended for use as chafe protection (generally for standing rigging).  Again, covering the stainless is not recommended, but in a case where a line or sail would chafe, then you have no choice.  These sleeves should be periodically removed for inspection of the underlying wire.

Cheers,

Mike

1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel