Aligning new shaft, shaft seal, and coupler

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcomeau

What are the steps to finish installation? I did not have the coupler when I got the shaft made and forgot about the dimples for the thru bolts.

There are specs about how much space between the flange and the coupler with without the mounting bolts on. When do I put dimples and tightened to thru bolts, Won't this be a critical part of the alignment?

Thanks,

Pierre
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Ron Hill

Pierre : I believe that the only critical measurement is the key and key way. 
As far as the dimple bolts - they are steel and will make their own impressions.  Don't forget to use some grease or lanacane on the threads and surfaces so you can easily get them apart in years to come.  A few thoughts. 
Ron, Apache #788

pjcomeau

The new coupler this not come with bolts to attach to transmission. The old one are rusted and can't tell what hardness they are. I went looking for replacement and found a shop that had the fine thread bold in two hardness 5 and 8 (being harder is all I know). Does anyone know the desired hardness?

Also,

The Catalina owners book says the shaft has to be dimpled 1/8" for each set screw. Since I did not have the coupler when I got the shaft done, do I just drill these?

Thanks
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada