cabin sole

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Shankle

Sean,
Don't use teak oil if you intend to varnish. It will prevent the varnish from adhering properly. You can either stain it or leave as is and varnish. Varnishing will bring back the luster. Do a test run on the underneath part to see if you like the results before doing the top. Before varnishing do a light sanding with 150 grit; helps the varnish to adhere.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

horsemel

I refinished my cabin sole last summer.  I took up the  boards brought them home, gave them a good sanding and put on three coats of a wipe on varnish.  Another of my hobbies is woodworking and you should know that if you are stripping the cabin sole that it is very important to wipe the surface with acetone after sanding and before putting on the finish.  This is because the teak is naturally oily and the acetone will remove the surface oil.  I don't know what to suggest about the black stuff.  It looks to me like the plywood substrate has been compromised. I would not try refinishing with the boards in place.  Take them up and make it easier and less messy.  By the way, don't reinstall the boards with a screw gun like some moron did previously on Blue Moon!  Use a screwdriver and don't over tighten them so you don't strip out the holes.
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

seanmcelligott

Thanks for the advice, the boards are all stripped and waiting to be refnished in my shed.  I am going to give them a very light sand, clean with acetone and apply 2 coats of sanding sealer and then 3 coats of ultimate sole.  Hopefully it will come out ok, but to be honest, I don't really mind the look of a fibreglass floor, and if it is a diaster I may refinish with starboard (at least at the compnaionway like the new boats).
Sean K. McElligott
"Ringle" 1988 Hull Number 758
Black Rock, CT