Propeller question

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Dawe

Hi folks
I am a new owner of a 1991 C34. It has a 3 blade feathering prop and this prop has a bit of "play" at the hub of the prop on the shaft. I am not sure what kind it is. On the spec sheet it just says feathering prop. The previous owner said it came as an option when purchased new. Anyone else out there have a feathering prop from taht vintage? Any thoughts on the "play" or the type of prop it may be so I can investigate further?
Thanks,
Dave
Tiffany Rose #1159, Burlington Sailing and Boating Club, Burlington Ontario

Tom Soko

Dave,
Would it be possible to post a picture of it?  As a wild guess, it might be a MaxProp.  There aren't that many feathering props out there.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Dave Dawe

Yes, I tried to insert an image into my posting but I couldn't make it work. Just came up with the words "img" [img]img]. Guess I need to figure that out too. I could send one by email if you send and address. I am at davedawe@netscape.net
Thanks!!

Stu Jackson

This is one of the easiest boards to post photos:  see: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3701.0.html

Just go to "Additional Options" before you post a thread and use the Browse to post a photo.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Chris Martinson

Are you sure the play is in the prop or in the cutlass bearing....the bearing is "cylinder at the bottom of the metal strut the shaft goes thru. 
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945

Dave Dawe

Thanks! I have attached a picture of the prop with an arrow and circle around the hub that has the bit of "play" in it.
So if you have thoughts on - the type of prop and if there should be any play at all in that hub. When I grab it and twist up and down, the hub moves a bit, but the sahft a nd everything else stays firm.

Dave

tonywright

Is it possibly a Variprop? 

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Allan.SVCarina

I have a VariProp on my C36 and there is no resemblance between the two, so I don't think it is.
Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)

Ron Hill

For sure it's not a Max or an Auto prop!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Dave Dawe

Thanks for the suggestions and help! I'll keep investigating.

Dave

tonywright

And it's not a J-prop.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ken Juul

I think it is an AutoStream.  Made in Australia.  Lot of good things said about them on a couple of cruisers sites.

http://www.seahawk.com.au/content/autostream_3D.htm
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Dave Dawe

Yes - thanks - I believe it is an autostream!! This helps a lot!!!

Dave