Cabinet latches !!!

Previous topic - Next topic

Momentum M

Hi guys....last summer a cpl of lifting rings brooked and ordered replacement and now that's behind me.

Now the chrome buttons (approx 1.5" diam) that are recessed in many of the utility doors...well one just broke on the w-e...and the boat is still on the hard!!

I've tried the search motor and a cpl of manufacturer and I just can't locate them.

Most likely the problem is the proper word for this gizmo.  So I need to know the official term so that I can do a proper research.

If any of you know of a good replacement 'cause these one are pretty hard to get a good grip on when the door sticks.  The admiral would certainly love them a lot more...and if I'm lucky...she would love me even more (*_*)

It's a good thing that we love our boat but I would have gladly paid a 100$ or 2 more for that boat if it came with better quality snaps, lift ring, and the like.

I've got so little confidence in those that when I order...I alway order half a dz because I know that they'll brake on me eventually...so Catalina should be a little concern with the accessories that they put on the boat...not just how much more money they can make by using chippo stuff

You know that I bought the boat new in June 05....it's on hard from Oct to May....so 2 full summers....and approx 2 mo the first yr...for a total of 12 mo....and I'm already replacing some parts.

The way it's going...after 10 yrs (equivalent to approx 4 yrs in the water) I will have replaced probably everthing that moves on the boat

Thanks in advance
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

tommyt

Serge,

Had the same problem with the lifting ring on the bilge. Found that at West Marine.

I have only broken one of the cabinet latches. Call Catalina and tell them that they are breaking. They must know that they have a problem with them as they sent me a few extra.

If you find a good replacement let me know. I don't find breaking one a big deal, but if it continues I will want to replace as well.

Tom
2004 C34 MKII #1697
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

tonywright

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

tommyt

Just FYI, I called and asked about them, and they sent them no charge. I think that they are having a problem with them based on that. My boat is a 2004, very close to your number.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Momentum M

Thanks for the information.  I've called them last week following your advice but I didn't know if there was someone in particular to talk to.   They'd transfered me to the parts department...but realized that I had call the wrong department as he was not to cooperative...
I would be ready to pay for them but since they have to ship out of the contry, I asked that it be sent via US mail...but he said that they use FedEx, Ups, etc.. and that they don't us US mail at all.  I've explained why but he wouldn't bulged at all.  I reply that CY must send some letters now and then (!!!) and all he had to do was to give it at the front desk...but he refused with no possible discussion
But the problem with these companies is that they charge some 60$ for clearing customs and via US mail/Canada post...it's free.
It's a high price for the rubber stamping..specially for a 20$ value!!
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Stu Jackson

Serge, call them back and ask to speak to Frank Butler or Gerry Douglas.  I assume you did get the name of the person who was not so cooperative.  If you can't get Frank or Gerry, ask to speak to Robert (Butler) in parts and threaten to speak to his father!  You should be treated better than that!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Momentum M on May 04, 2008, 05:25:37 PM
I asked that it be sent via US mail...but he said that they use FedEx, Ups, etc... But the problem with these companies is that they charge some 60$ for clearing customs and via US mail/Canada post...it's free. It's a high price for the rubber stamping..specially for a 20$ value!!

I know it seems unreasonable, but for a company to do something out of process costs it more than $60.  In this case, I would guess that the guy in Parts would have to request that the pieces be taken out of inventory and brought to him (or he'd have to go fetch them).  Then, instead of those pieces just naturally ending up in shipping where they definitely don't deal with the USPS, the Parts guy would have to bring them to shipping, get them boxed, handwrite a label (because their label machine only does Fedex or UPS labels).  Then he'd have to haul ass to the receptionist or mailroom, get it weighed and stamped.  His department wouldn't have a job code on the postage machine in the mailroom because their shipments never go through that device.  And there'd be no way he could incorporate the USPS postage cost into your bill, again because those systems aren't integrated with the customer billing system.  And then our fearless Parts guy would have to hope that the receptionist didn't misplace it before the letter carrier arrived.  Could he do it?  Sure, and it would be real nice of him, but it would have cost CY an hour of his time (probably $50 including overhead), and, more importantly, he wouldn't have been serving five other customers during that hour. 

I know this all sounds ridiculous, but it's probably pretty close to reality.  This stuff is usually a lot harder to make happen than it appears. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA