Docking Lessons from William Buckley

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Schneider

An absolutely wonderful piece written by Christopher Buckley about his experiences on the sea with his father was floating around the C36 list, and I thought you might like it as well: My Old Man and the Sea (http://nrd.nationalreview.com/article/?q=ZGMxYjAzMTFlNDBjZTU2ZjMxY2JiYWI4NzkzMDA2MDE)
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ted Pounds

A great article.  :thumb:  I have all WFB's books about sailing.  They're all very entertaining, regardless of your political persuasion.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Craig Illman

The article just about makes you wish for a significant bowsprit and I don't think I qualify as "a great man".

Craig

waterdog

This one made me smile. 

And then it made me choke a bit.   Received some news today that makes me think maybe I've done one of those father son cruises for the last time. 

Prayers for a brave sailor appreciated.

Steve

http://www.caringbridge.org/canada/spencer/

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ted Pounds

Steve,
Our prayers are with you and Spencer. 

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jon Schneider

Steve, it's pretty clear that Spencer really is one brave little sailor.  My thoughts and prayers go with him as well as with you and your family. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Bill Asbury

Steve & family, especially Spencer, our thoughts and prayers are radiating your way across the continent from the Sailing Capital, Annapolis MD.

May the grace and peace of our Lord be with you all today and every day.

Bill & Penne
AVANTI
C34 #1140
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Bill Asbury

Many thanks for passing along the article 'My Old Man and the Sea, Jon!

Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

waterdog

Sorry to hijack this thread and inject a measure of human tragedy onto an otherwise perfectly decent technical boating website.  But you're all sort of my family in a twisted electronic way.   

Just by way of update, Spencer went from lying motionless in pain maxed out on methadone, morphine and tramadol last week to coming home this week pain free.  Today he decided to join a gym to get the strength back in his legs.  We are all going sailing this weekend!   You have to like that.   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Jon Schneider

Hijack away when you have such GREAT, GREAT news.  Fair winds in all respects. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA