autohelm 4000 control unit repair or replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

salsailor

My old autohelm 4000 control unit failed this weekend, it wont powerup anymore. I checked the cable and connector, the power supply works fine. I guess the unit is dead.

Does anyone know how to get it replaced or repaired? I saw some infor about a retrofit kit to use st4000+ control unit? Is that true? If so, is anyone still carry it? I know Raymarine discontinued it.

Tom Soko

Sal,
Do you have the ST4000 or the 4000?  The ST4000 is hardwired from the back, while the 4000 has a wire and a plug coming out of the bottom of the unit.  The reason I ask is that I have the 4000, and a few years ago it started working intermittently.  I even sent it back to Raymarine, and they said everything checked out OK.  I finally diagnosed the problem to a broken wire at the end of the plug.  I took the plug apart, shortened the wires by 1-2", and it has been working fine ever since.  Hope this helps.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Ken Juul

If it is the control head in the black plastic case, Raymarine no longer services it.  They still do work on the 4000(+) model in the grey case.

I have the black case model, it died last year.  Decided to replace the whole thing with the new Wheel Pilot X that came out this spring.  Motor was getting tired, drive unit squeaked and it kept loosing it's compass head.  Not sure if the compass part was the flux gate or the computer. 

I have heard the RM sells refurbished 4000+ models as a whole or individual parts.  Might be more cost effective than repair.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

salsailor

Thanks to both replies.

This is the old 4000 unit, not st4000. It does use a connector, which is prone to problems, which I already checked and I opened the unit box and verified the power did come on to the board itself. So it's not the power supply problem.

I called the Raymarine, they did not repair this unit anymore. The S1 wheelpilot cost over $1000, not sure I want to invest that much money on it yet, since I do not do long distance cruise.

It will be nice if I can get an older model, which is ST4000+ on a discount. I think some vendors still have it for sale about $800.

Meanwhile if you're replacing your old 4000, and have a control unit that I can use, please let me know.

cheers!

Hawk

I had the dreaded AH4000 drive unit lock on the wheel last weekend. Luckily I was just leaving the dock and so took the whole unit off the wheel.

Even though the clutch lever seemed to lock on and off OK, when unlocked the drive was grinding away when the wheel was turned. I'm thinking something has broken inside but darned if I see a way to dismantle the two components of the drive assembly...........anyone done this?

Thanks,
Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Ken Juul

The two halve of the wheel unit that the belt rides in just snap together.  Once it is off the wheel use a putty knife or other wide tool to gently force the two halves apart.  It's been a while but I think it only has 3 (maybe 4) tabs that hold it together.

Take a good look at the clutch acutating arm.  It is held in place by a steel push pin.  The pin is the weak link, if it shears the handle rotates but doesn't engage/dissengage the clutch.  It is also possible if only one end of the pin breaks to have the handle rotate on the shaft so you are only getting a partial throw.  When my pin sheared it enlarged the hole in the handle quite a bit.  I overdrilled the handle and the shaft and used a small stainless nut and bolt to reattach.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Hawk

Ken,

Thanks a million. Just what I needed to hear. I'll pull it apart tomorrow.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35