Picture of heat exchanger for M 35B

Previous topic - Next topic

foursailing

Could some provide a picture or 2 of the heat exchanger which includes routing of hoses.  Removed the HX and replaced hoses and I'm now in the process of putting everything back together - picture would be helpful - I know what connects to what, just unsure of the best way to route and tie down the hoses - including fuel lines.

Yes, should have done that before I started taking everything apart - but it looked like they could only go back one way - now I'm not sure if they should be routed under / over the HX, etc.

Or I am I being too particular - should I just make sure they are tied down well and don't worry about it?

Thanks!

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Stu Jackson

The short line from the engine goes into the top of the HX.  The long line from the front of the engine goes into the bottom port side of the HX.  The raw water from the pump (Sherwood or Oberdorfer) goes into the bottom starboard, the top starboard is the raw water out to the exhaust riser nipple under the head sink.

This is a 3 inch HX refitted onto an M25 engine, so it should be the same HX you have.

The lines are supported with cable clamps screwed into the sides of the engine compartment, as well as at the rear top of the engine compartment.  The manifold hoses aren't separately supported, since the short one supports itself for that length and the longer one from the front of the engine to the HX is also self supported.

The hose from the raw water pump to the HX is also unsupported.  The HX raw water outlet is supported underneath the top of the back of the engine compartment.

Your call on where you put the cable clamps.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

PS to the first reply:  I recollect hearing that the newer boats have their zinc on the starboard side.  Ours is on the port side.  It could well be that the newer engines have the HX essentially upside down.  Check yours out.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

foursailing

Stu - Thanks for taking the time for the writeup and the picture!  The zinc is on the starboard side.

Clear on what connects to what - my main concern was the fuel line routing and tie down (didn't change the fuel lines).  It appears the black ties were used to secure the fuel lines to the heat exchanger - which I'm assuming does not cause a problem with the heat (dumb quesion I know!)

Anyway, thanks for your help as usual - very much appreciated
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Stu Jackson

Bill,

I wouldn't tie the fuel lines, or anything else for that matter, to the HX.  Not only the heat, but the darn thing wobbles around so much, I'm constantly checking the hose clamps.  I also installed some bicycle rubber tubing between the HX and the support bracket. 

There's plenty of room in the wood above the HX to route and support the fuel lines.