v700 windlass installation, Mrk I

Previous topic - Next topic

jimhaas

I'm ready to attempt both of Ron's projects...bow roller and windlass on my '87 Mark I #427.  Thanks for the write up Ron!!  The windlass template shows a Rope/Chain Centerline.  I understand this line is to be parallel to the centerline of the bow roller, but should they be in line as well?  Seems if they are not in line the winch will pull the rode to one side of the bow roller.  When I make my cardboard mock up, as Ron did, it seems I cannot get the windlass far enough to port to line up the windlass and bow roller centerlines.  The windlass rope/chain centerline is about two inches to starboard of the bowroller centerline.  How forgiving is this alignment?

Thanks All

Ron Hill

Jim : The 1986/87/88 C34s have a double roller as part of the stem fitting for the head stay.  This means that the chain/rode is NOT a centerline, but is off to one side -- either port or starboard of the head stay depending on which side you use for your bow roller.
(In the 1989 and subsequent C34s the BOW roller is angled out to starboard so that the chain/rope line really angles back to the center of the anchor well)
You can see from my pictures in Projects that I selected the starboard side for my added bow roller.  This means that the chain/rode line is straight back, but off to the starboard side which is as it should be.  This made it easy to set the windlass bracket just to the right of actual center of the anchor well.  Remember that the windlass feeds in from it's right (starboard) side. 
If you follow exactly what I did (using the starboard side), your chain/rode will come straight back to the V700 Windlass.    :clap
Ron, Apache #788