Oven Problem

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Krawford

I fired up our oven and everything lit just fine.  Set the thermostat to 375 and put the scones in to cook.  They were supposed to be done in 12 minutes.  I checked at 10 minutes and there was a blob of dough sweating to death.  The pilot was lit but there was a much smaller flame coming out of the burner.  Changing the thermostat setting didn't seem to change the amount of flame on the burner.
I called Seaward yesterday and no one had a good guess as to the problem.  They person who would be most likely to troubleshoot this was out sick.
Has anyone experienced this problem before?
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Ken Juul

I think there are two safety's on the oven.  The first is the pilot safety, it needs to be hot to allow gas to the pilot.  That one obviously works.  I think there is a second that the pilot heats to allow gas to the burner.  This is from memory, been ages since I read the oven manual.  Might try lightly tapping  on the burner assembly to knock any rust loose and try again.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jon Schneider

You should check for the smell of gas. If it's the second "safety switch," which I actually think is the thermostat itself, and it's malfunctioning, not enough gas is being released and you probably won't smell any.  But to Ken's point, if it's just rust or some other blockage that's preventing the pilot light from igniting the gas ring, you should be able to clear that, or at the very least light it with a fireplace torch (i.e., extended-neck lighter).  All of this is way beyond my pay grade (but I do love scones... were they raisin scones?) 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

Ken, did you run the right hand side (aft) stovetop burner for a while first?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tonywright

Ken, this sounds like a gas pressure problem. I presume that you checked for enough gas in the tank? If it isn't the thermostat, maybe you should think of replacing the regulator (the round silver regulator connected to the tank)?

I have had this kind of symptom a couple of times on my home barbeque. Tank is full(ish), but after an initial good start there is just no real pressure at the burners and they seemed turned down low. Giving the regulator a bang seems to work only for a short while. Replacing it fixed the problem for me (twice over the years).

Afterthought: if it is the regulator, then pressure would be low on the top burners as well. This would be a good way to "eliminate it from your enquiries".

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

canuck

Is your stove 20 years old? Assuming you have a full tank of propane and this is not the problem, I would take your stove to a Seaward dealer along with your tank hardware. Your whole system should be checked. Parts will deteriorate over time. This is one system where you do not want to cut corners. We had an oven problem similar to yours on our boat when brand new in 2004. Dealer did not check this but this should have been part of the commissioning process. Catalina does not warranty the stove, Seaward does. It was my responsibility to get it out of the boat and deliver to the local Seaward dealer! Once repaired the dealer kindly installed it for me. When you pop it back in, bake some scones and ensure it has been repaired properly.