Paper chart useage and storage

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

My bad, Float Plan was the wrong term to use.  However all trips, even day sails, someone not on the boat should have a rough idea of your plans.  Just in case. 

Waypoint list is a much better term.  It can be as simple or complex as you want it.  Up until the chart plotter I too had an ancient handheld GPS.  My columns are: Waypoint name, Waypoint ID, Lat/Long, course to next WP, distance to next WP.  I always leave room in the margin for hand written notes such as time to next waypoint,  interesting things we see etc.  A great idea the Admiral came up with, in the destination line, if it is a marina put the phone number in the notes.  If you can't reach them by vhf, the number is available to call on the cell phone.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

WAYPOINT LOG

Here's a PDF of a portion of our waypoint log for an example.  Just click on the link and then click open to see it or save to save and print it out.  It's just a spreadsheet, easy to use and a great reference.  While Ken's is more detailed, he uses his for trip planning with the distances to the next waypoint, while ours is just a list and we use the GPS (or Loran - yup, we still have one that works) to do the math.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

ebbers

Thanks for the info - we are looking forward to the ice leaving the lake (tons of ice fisherman still out today!) so we can sail!  We will probably end up adapting the excel spreadsheet for our own use, & leave the BoatUS form ashore for long trips -

Tim & Melissa
Tim and Melissa Ebbers
Meerdink #1207 1992
Malletts Bay, VT

Footloose

Tim and Lis,

Congadulations on the boat!  We look forward to sailing with you in Malletts Bay.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain