New/Revised stern pulpit for '88 model

Previous topic - Next topic

salwhite

It seems to me that the stern pulpit is small compared to other boats of our size. Also, we've had some problems with a rail breaking and had to have it re-wielded. I'd like to replace the whole pulpit with a new one and perhaps design it to make it wrap around the port and starboard sides a little. Has anyone ever done anything like this? Will the cost be prohibitive?

Ron Hill

Suw:  I don't know of anyone that has changed the stern pulpit design.  People have cut that lower tube (easier entry to the boarding ladder) that joins the port and starboard sides. I've always thought that was NOT a good idea, but it's their boat!!

I'd guess that you should look for a stainless maker in the Norfolk area for what you want.  That way you can come up with a design that you want.  It could be pricey!!  Call and get some estimates. 
BTW, Where is the point on your present pulpit that is breaking?   
Ron, Apache #788

Susan Ray

Had the stern on my '87 smashed in dry-dock  last year and Catalina Direct sent a new one with-in a month. To Hawaii. I didn't pay for it but I seem to remember they thought it was reasonable. Aloha
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Ken Juul

I have not used them, but several boaters I work with say
http://www.s-smarine.com/
does quality stainless work.  They are located near Little Creek.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jon Schneider

You might also give Tops in Quality (topsinquality.com) a call.  I haven't used them, but others I know who have, rave about them.  I don't think they're cheap, but if you're looking to do something different, they can probably help you imagine it.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

You may want to consider doing a search on "pulpit" and "stern rails" for different sources that have been posted here in earlier discussions.  There are many hits.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."