What is this plate?

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

On my C34 there is a missing plate on the motor cover and I have always wondered what it was or says.  I copied a image from Yachtworld.com and circled the plate.  Can someone tell me what it is?

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Mike Vaccaro

Rick,

It's a warning plate that admonishes you not to open the engine cover when the engine is running.  It cautions that there are moving belts that can be hazardous.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Stu Jackson

Rick, be glad you don't have one of those "stupid plates."  Messes up the interior looks.  If we had one I would've moved it to underneath one of the stair treads.  Guess our boat's too old to have become a victim of the "save us from ourselves police."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

lazybone

Rick,
Once you've kicked all the lawyers off your boat, make it a habit to observe your diesel (while its running) with the covers off, every chance you get.  Its the best way spot problems before they get serious.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

waterdog

I found some plates in my boat that tell me I shouldn't throw garbage overboard or dump oil into the ocean or some such things.   I was about to throw them overboard :) but decided I should keep them.  Are they mandatory to have posted while travelling in US waters?  Or are they just something that the government makes the boat manufacturer include?
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Steve, the garbage and oil placards are required.  See the WM catalogs for requirements, or those helpful CG/gov't. websites.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Steve : The "Don't discharge Oil" and the "Don't throw garbage overboard - in so many miles from shore" are required placards and will be checked, if you are boarded by the US Coast Guard!!

Rick : That plate on the cover over the engine is the same plate that's on the door to the alternator in the head!  Something like - "Danger be-where of moving machinery parts". 
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Here's the best...on my boat, at the bottom of the companionway opening there is a sticker that says 'Read Owner's Manual before operating this vessel'  :thumb:
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Joe Kern

Mine too.  I make a joke with new people on the boat that everything I know about sailing I learned from the manual.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Jon Schneider

Quote from: gtrbone on March 10, 2008, 09:44:51 AM
I make a joke with new people on the boat that everything I know about sailing I learned from the manual.
No wonder I don't know anything; my boat didn't come with that plate ;)
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Guys : It sounds like the Catalina factory changed the placard saying between the MKI and MKII ! 
As usual when you discuss items on a C34 - NEVER say ALWAYS !, but "mine says/is" and you'll always be safe!!!!!!   :rolling
Ron, Apache #788