Keel covering peeling off

Previous topic - Next topic

karista

Just had the boat hauled for a new bottom job, when the yard was pressure washing the bottom. big section of the covering on the keel wing tops came off right to its lead base material.
I have no idea what material Catalina uses to encapsulate the keel, but its razor thin in some section and certeinly is not adherring well to the lead material. I was thinking of just removing the rest of the covering and applying several coats of thickened Epoxy and then finish with the bottom paint! Any thoughts?? :?
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Ted Pounds

Before you put on epoxy you need to sand to bright metal (with suitable protection) and use an acid-etching primer.  I suggest contacting International Paint (now a part of Akzo Nobel),  They can tell you how to do it right so the coating doesn't  come off again.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Bernd : The material coming off is an epoxy filler over the lead.  Follow what Ted has suggested. 
From my readings I understand that you have to work quickly as lead oxidises fairly rapidly and the lead oxide is why the epoxy won't adhere.   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788