Masthead light / Halyards replacement... and

Previous topic - Next topic

sailingdream

Two questions in one thread.(just heads up, I'm a newbie only got the C34 in August last yr and my first sailboat, so still learning)

I have to get my masthead light dome replaced, it being something like 18 yrs old(I assume that old since the boat is 90) the UV has killed it and a small knock on unstepping the mast broke the plastic dome. Can I just buy that plastic dome without having the boat a whole new masthead lighting system? If so where?

Second, I want to replace all the halyards since they are more then due for replacement. I have a 90' tall rig. I know I will need about 120ft for the 3 halyards.  From reading on the forums, it seems pretty simple enough to do. Now the real question. What is the color coding used for the main, jib, and spinnaker halyards?
Also should I keep the 3/8 size or go 7/16?

Ted Pounds

Call Catalina parts for info on the dome.  If they don't have it they should be able to tell you where to get it.

I would stay with the 3/8.

Color coding is whatever you want; there is no "standard".
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

BillG

There is no need to upgrade  halyard size to 7/16, however while the mast is down it would probably be a great idea to replace all the wiring and I always. recommend an upgrade in wiring size.  I know that on my 87, they did not use marine grade wire.  I also replaced the vhf antenna and cable as well as installing a tv antenna and coax cable.  Finally you may want to take a look at the new Garhauer halyard sheaves, the new ones are alot better than the originals and not to bad price wise.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

Sail : There are a number of things that you need to look at while the mast is down. 
I replaced my "dome anchor light" with a anchor light on a 2/3" pedestal.  It can be better seen and make sure that it will accept an LED bulb - less current draw.
I'd get replacement ball bearing mast head sheaves from Garhauer Maine. I have 7/16" line, but 3/8" will work.
Look at you steaming/deck light fixture and you may want to replace it.
Go to the C34 knowledge base and look at the article that I wrote about removing the mast and you'll get some more ideas. 
Ron, Apache #788

pjcomeau

Ron,

Do you also have masthead running lights (under sail at night)? Do you where you got/what brand is your anchor light?

Thanks,

Pierre
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Ron Hill

Pierre : I do not have the masthead running lights - too many crab pots and set line on the Chesapeake Bay to sail at night!! 
You can get a good pedestal (low amp draw) with an AquaSignal anchor light. 
Ron, Apache #788

pjcomeau

Ron and others,

What did you do to fill/cover the hole from the old dome anchor light?

Thanks,

Pierre
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Ron Hill

Pierre : I'd take a wood plug and force it into the old hole.  Saw it flush and put some clear silicone caulk on it - it'll then outlast you !!  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

And while you have the mast down, check the rigging, new spreader boots. I got a new Hella LED anchor light and just replaced the bulbs on the Forespar steaming/deck light. I see you have 1019. I have 1022. Is your tall rig? Swim platform but no walkthru? Good luck
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

sailingdream

Thats correct. Its the tall rig(wing keel), currently  in Lake Ontario(was in FL before I bought it).
I didn't replace the masthead light, but will do that in the fall(masts come down around here for winter storage) and also the crane knocked off my steam light so right now I have to find a replacement for that as well.

Quote from: crieders on June 02, 2008, 05:51:38 PM
And while you have the mast down, check the rigging, new spreader boots. I got a new Hella LED anchor light and just replaced the bulbs on the Forespar steaming/deck light. I see you have 1019. I have 1022. Is your tall rig? Swim platform but no walkthru? Good luck

crieders

Mine is the fin keel. There a lot of nice combo units out there; deck light/steaming light. I assume your boat was trucked not sailed from Fla to Canada?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

sailingdream

Thats correct. I didn't have a few weeks to sail it up, plus it was up near Tallahassee so it would even take me longer.

Stu Jackson

Catalina used both Forespar and Aquasignal Series 25 steaming'deck light combo units over the course of production.  We have an Aquasignal steaming/deck light.

The old anchor light is a Perko, do a Message Board search on Perko and you'll get a lot of hits on the 1-2-B switches but should be able to find it, or go to the main home page and use the Google website search engine for "Perko anchor light" to locate it.  I'm not sure if Perko still makes that, and I agree with Ron, it's a lousy unit.  We replaced it with a Davis mega light a number of years ago, but use a lamp oil light in our split backstay for an anchor light.  I just removed, caulked and replaced the old Perko anchor light.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."