galley sink replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

I kept getting a leak on the water heater under the galley and I just looked and looked and could not find where the faucet was leaking. Finally I had my wife come out to the boat and look under while I ran the sink. Well, guess what? It is not the plumbing it is the sink(s) both have pin point holes in them and drip water whenever there is water in them. I patched the leaks using some 4200 on a rubber dinghy (Hypalon) patch for now.
Where can I get a replacement galley double sink? Is Catalina the way to go or is there another less expensive route? I have a 1988 C34,

Steve McGill

CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Steve McGill

Terry,

One additional thought, if you are going to replace the sink look at the condition of your hot water heater. If it is ending its usefull life soon it may be easier to replace it through the sink opening instead of through the normal access door under the sink.

Steve

CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Ron Hill

Terry : Shop around - not only Catalina direct, but see what the factory wants for a # F60155 double galley sink. 
They just might surprise you!!   :clap

PS : Besure to look at the improved galley sink drain in the Mainsheet tech notes and Projects.  It beats the hell out of the factry installed drain and drains 10 times faster!! 
Ron, Apache #788

canuck

To increase the longevity of these sinks, it is a good practice to ensure that they are left dry as much as possible. The Admiral also places plastic liners in the bottoms to protect the sink from scratches. These liners are available at any kitchen store and can be cut to size as required, As well, when away from the boat for extended times, we always open the cabinet doors to aid ventilation and ensure no moisture is present in the area underneath the sinks.

Terry Forshier

I was unable to find a phone number for the Catalina factory. I had thought they had one in Fl. Anyone have this? Terry

Ken Juul

Might want to check out some RV dealers.  Many times they have similiar items, some are a good deal, some have an RV markup similiar to the Boat Markup.  Just have to shop around.  Looked at a few of the online RV catalogs.  They have nothing, but a visit to the parts counter might produce better results.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Roc

You might want to try the home improvement superstores, Home Depot, Lowes.  There might be a 'bar sink' that would work.  About the double sink, I find that it might be better to have a single sink since that would give more room.  The separation in the middle really takes up alot of space, making the two sections very small to do anything.  Washing the dishes is a pain.  I was thinking about swapping out my double for a single.  However, that's another project that I really don't feel I want to get into.  You might want to consider going with a single sink which may be easier to find...just a thought...
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Hmm, interesting, Roc.  Our Admiral wouldn't even buy a house without a double sink!   :D  Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  I find the dual sinks to be a great benefit.  For day sailing the port sink is the "wet" sink for washing cups, utensils and hands.  The starboard sink is the "dry" sink, for holding the coffee thermos, and other odds and ends - it's a great big "holder."  We do the same when doing dishes later - the wet sink is used for washing, the right sink for storage or drying.  We leave the stopper closed in the starboard sink almost 99% of the time.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Terry, I had the exact same problem with pin holes in the sink and replaced mine about a year ago. After much searching, I could not find one with the same dimensions to fit the hole other than from the Catalina factory in California at 818-884-7700. Just ask for the parts dept, they are very helpful and the price was in line with or better than others. You may want to order the drains through them as well but get the faucet elseware because I had problems with the clearance of the mounting bracket with the one I got from Catalina. I actually wound up taking my new sink into WM to make sure the faucet would fit. Also the new sink I got was polished stainless rather than the brushed stainless like I had(if that matters to you, the Admiral actually liked it better).
I also replaced my water heater with it's check valve(it was actually causing a restriction on the hot water side) and yes it was easier to replace it from the top, along with most of the plumbing and the hoses to the engine for hot water(also easier to replace now).
This is the best time to replace any questionable hoses or clamps while you have everything open.
After we were all done and turned the water back on, the water pump would cycle on and off as if we had a leak so after spending hours looking for leaks and finding none, we found that the pressure switch decided "this would be a good time to act up" we wound up replacing the pump also with a more modern variable rate pump which works great!
One thing I wish I would have done that I didn't is to replace the water valve manifold with ball valves. The existing ones are still working good though.
You may also want to consider replacing the hoses to the head as this will be easier now.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Terry, Mike makes a very good point about hose replacement.  You may want to review this if you haven't seen it - engine to heater hose replacement:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3769.0.html

Mike, I, too, am thinking about replacing the 2088-423-344 ShurFlo fresh water pump.  What model new pump did you get?  The old ones are 3.0 GPM and I know the newer ones come in a variety of GPMs.  Were the mounting bolts on the legs in the same place?

Terry, FYI, the galley top replacement is in Projects, here: http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-counter-top.html  I believe if you look around some of the other Projects, you'll find a link to Al Watson's homepage where he's posted pictures of this work in addition to the text in the Projects article.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Stu,
I'm not at the boat but looking at the WM catalog I think it was the Surflo extreme series 4901-0211 and I don't recall if the holes lined up but I also don't remember it being a problem mounting it on the wood platform.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Mike, thanks, I'll check it out.

Terry, hope you're having good luck in your search.  Captain Al's Homepage is here: http://www.c34.org/projects/kindred-spirit/upgrades.html  ---see Item #4, scroll down, finds this: http://www.c34.org/projects/kindred-spirit/counter1.html

Terry Forshier

Thanks for all the help. I called the factory and they had one in stock at a more affordable price. I ordered it. I did find several that might have worked by surfing for wet bar sinks. However the price difference was not that far off and they would all have had to be custom installed in the existing hole. It seemed that this was the easiest way to go. Terry