WINDLASS ANCHOR STORE / FORTRESS ANCHOR FX 16

Previous topic - Next topic

canuck

I am looking to add a Fortress FX 16 as an additional backup to my 33 lb Bruce. The store above has an internet site at www.windlass-anchor.com.
The Fortress retails at $236 and this dealer is quoting $146 on their website plus $13 shipping.
Has anyone heard anything negative or positive on this dealer. Any responses would be appreciated.
What experiences have you had using this anchor?
Thanks

Bill Asbury

I'm selling me '91 C34 to a Montreal couple and considering buying a later model C34 which has only the Fortress FX 16 you mentioned.  I've been used to a Bruce, so the Fortress seems a tad bit light, tho I appreciate that it is designed for easier handling than a typical Danforth/knockoff.  Wondering if I should consider getting a Bruce as backup or even to replace the FX, which becomes the backup.

Bill Asbury
Chesapeake 
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

canuck

I am passing on the Fortress!
Seems they don't work very well in the Pacific Northwest due to the large amounts of eel grass we have. This prevents them from digging in. I will go with the Delta 35 lb.
Thanks.

Stu Jackson

HUH?

Why is anyone still considering danforth-type anchors for primary anchors (other than stern anchors).

Do yourselves a favor and look into Rocnas, and Mansons as an alternative.

Please read this: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2705.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bill Asbury

Thanks, Stu.  I've been satisfied with the Bruce that came with my '91 C34 when I bought it in '05, and was puzzled to find the FX16 deployed as the only hook on the late model I'm considering, tho for fair weather cruisers here on the Chesapeake it has apparently been adequate.  Will do the due diligence.

Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

jmnpe

OK, I'm going to have to jump in on this one to back up Stu.

Based upon my own testing on both sail and power boats, I have to say that, for the money, the Manson Supreme anchors are the most impressive anchors I have seen/used to date. The thing sets faster than anything I have ever used ( CQR, Delta, Bruce, or Danforth ), and even at ridiculously short scopes. With just reasonable scopes, they set immediately and just don't move after that even under the normal unfavorable conditions of wind/current changes. The WM Danforth on our 34 will be replaced with a Manson Supreme just as soon as I have time to do it as part of a larger windlass/anchor upgrade. Friends with boats all along the Gulf coast and out doing extended cruising in the Caribbean report the same results.

Just my 2 cents worth.

John
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728