Emergency Tiller

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Asbury

Guys, I need to acquire an emergency tiller for my '91 C34, so I suppose the only source would be Catalina, right?  Checked WM but not in catalog.
Thanks,
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Mike Denest

Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

dgill

First Point of Aries
1987 - Hull # 389
located on Lake Ogleton, Annapolis, Md

Bill Asbury

Thanks, Mike and Denise!

Bill
Bill & Penne
Chesapeake Bay

Chris Martinson

SUGGESTION

I have an '89 and had to use the emergency tiller (what the previous owner provided - but it appeared to fit) when my cable broke.  Not an easy thing to use....it was too short, in a difficutl postion to use - overall it didn't work well.  It was only a short piece of pipe.  I had to use it in Long Island Sound on a windy day - tried to use it sailing but the pressure was too great (I'm not good enough to steer by sail only) - could only use it motoring.  Since then I have taken  a 3 1/2" by 1 1/4" length of hard wood, routed and sanded the edges and drilled a hole on one end to go over the pipe.  This allows more leverage and you don't have to bend over the pipe and use your hand and legs to steer by.  It tested out well.  I store it in the gap between the cushions and stern bulkhead in the aft cabin - not really in the way...for what it is worth.

Chris Martinson
More Therapy
Hull No 945
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945

Bill Asbury

Thanks for taking time to let me know about your emergency tiller fix, Chris.  I've ordered one from Catalina Direct (back ordered) because there wasn't one on my boat when I bought it, so I haven't had an opportunity to see how it works.  Will keep your message for future reference.

Thanks again,

Bill Asbury
Bill & Penne
Chesapeake Bay

Stephen Butler

Chris is right...the emergency tiller is very difficult to use, and almost impossible when under sail (unless the boat is really well balanced).  Removing the wheel does help get a bit more space.  On our one experience, we rigged lines from the end of the short emergency tiller to each of the winches and with one of us working the lines, and the other keeping the emergency tiller inserted, we regain control of the boat.  Think your solution would be much better and will give it a try.  Thanks.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Hill

Bill : I would have made one of my own based on the curved design I mentioned in numerous posts.  It's best to have an emergency tiller that can function with the wheel off - for better mechanical advantage.
A thought.   Ron

Ron, Apache #788