GARHAUER E Z GLIDE FOR 2004 MK II

Previous topic - Next topic

canuck

I have ordered the G-2UB system with the optional swivel cams. For those owners of a MKII who have this system I would appreciate any helpful hints on the installation process,
Thanks

Roc

Here is my set up.  I ran the line back around to form a 'closed loop' attached to the sliding car.  This way, I can pull on that end and move the car back.  I ran the line through a block attached to the stern rail, this keeps the pull in line with the track and away from the dodger.  I also have the swivel cam.  Pulling on that part of the line will move the car forward. I mounted it as far back as possible, and I mounted it backwards (the welded eyeloop aft) because I'm not using a bungee line.  For the money, the system works great.  Probably the competitive units might slide better due to ball bearings, but they are more than twice the cost.  I use the system quite often and it is one of the top improvements I've made.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Footloose

Roc,

I have been looking at various adjustable jib car systems.  Your statement about cost is very true.  Other systems with ball bearings are 3-4x the cost of the easy glide.

Now to my question:  Are the cars moveable under load, or do you have to ease out the jib or turn into the wind to move them?
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Roc

Dave,
They are movable under load, you don't need to change your heading.  You do need to give it a strong tug to move it forward, but you do have the purchase power of the blocks.  It's basically the friction that you need to overcome.  I think the other manufacturers have a better bearing system that minimizes friction under load.  The Garhauer unit does have bearings, but the design is not that refined.  Then again, the less expensive cost really makes them a good buy.  It helps if you keep the track clean.  Everytime I rinse my boat, I let the water shoot down the track and through the movable car to get the dirt and grime out.  You might also try McLube, although I've just tried to keep it clean with water.

Ted Pounds

Roc,
I'm not so sure it's the friction that's involved in moving the cars forward.  If you look at the geometry of it you'll see that you're actually tensioning the jib sheet when you move the car forward.  I think that is most of the load on the adjusting line.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Roc

The friction I'm referring to is the fact that the cars wobble on the track.  They don't seem to keep alignment with the track....tightly.  I'm guessing that when the cars are pulled upward, from the sheet, and maybe off to the side somewhat, they might not slide smoothly.  This is just a guess based on my use of these over the years.  I agree, moving forward, you're fighting the jib sheet...that's obvious. But my theory on the friction really stems from when you try to pull the car back, it really doesn't slide easily.  You need to help it along.  Thus, my guess on the misalignment.

Jon Schneider

Hmmm... I wonder if your track is different than mine (a Mk 1.5, 1990)?  The cars fit perfectly on my OEM track with virtually no "wobble," though as I said earlier, the groove was a little narrow and had to be widened in one section on one side, but that was due to the track not being perfectly centered in the groove.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Roc

Jon,
When I say wobble, I mean there is some play. I've never shaken a Harken or Lewmar car system, maybe theirs have the same amount of play.  There has to be some movement, I just thought the Garhauer may have a bit more.  About the tracks, on the MKII, they are not in a groove in the deck, as I suppose yours is.  I believe Garhauer makes a special car for the models with the track mounted inside the groove.

Jon Schneider

Roc- you're right that my track is embedded in a groove.  It's possible that they make a different car for such installations, though I don't recall Guido at Garhauer advising me of such options at the time (but this was nearly three years ago).  I suppose there is a touch more play in my EZGlide versus a Harken traveler car that I had on another boat, but it's hard to say, since the tracks and geometry are much different.  I can say that I don't see any real difference in the machining between the upgraded Garhauer traveler car that I have and the EZGlide cars.  As has already been said, the EZGlide cars probably don't compare to the movement of ultra-high-end products, but they're an amazing value and work just fine for me. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

dave davis

My 1988 #707 has a depress track but I bought the special cars that were machined for fitting in the groove with no interference. In order to move the car forward under high load conditions, Guido fixed me with a 6/1 purchase instead of the normal 4/1. Even with lots a wind and the gib very tight,! can move it forward quite nicely. By connecting the return line on the cabin side wall you can get a better direct pull. :clap
Good luck, dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Roc

I think what Dave just said is the key, getting direct pull, in line with the track.  In my pictures, the swivel cam is mounted on the track, so when moving the car forward, the cam keeps the pull in line to the car.  I ran the end of the line through a block mounted on the stern rail.  So when pulling the car back, again, the line is positioned so it's a direct pull.  By being in the cockpit, and having the lines run through in this way, you can always have a good forward and back pull on the car.

canuck

I have been reviewing the C350 forum and there was a comment about these EZ Glide replacement cars cracking the windows as they do not have an inboard tip over preventer.
Any comments?

Jon Schneider

That would be impossible, at least if all C34s have the track in roughly the same place.  The lead can hit the coaming just aft of the bulkhead pretty hard in stiff breeze.  I keep meaning to run a thick rubber strip along the area, but in the meantime, I simply move the car forward of the bulkhead before tacking. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

DaveM

Dave Davis,

I am looking at setting the same system up and was wondering a couple of things.  Do you have the forward pull line going through the forward block on the 6:1 setup with no alignment loop like Roc pictures show?  Also how do you secure the forward pull line.  Also, what kind of setup do you have on the cabin side to hold the line in alignment.

Thanks, DaveM
Dave Mauney, O'Day 35, 1989, "DAMWEGAS" , Oriental, NC , M25XP

Momentum M

I was at the strictly sail (Miami) last week and I saw the Garhauer booth.  They had the EZ glide system on display and since I had my camera I took a few pictures of it...right from the table display.  Hope that will help someone
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May