winches in winter

Previous topic - Next topic

David Arnold

My C34 is on the hard in Southern Massachusetts where mid winter temps tend to fluctuate from near zero (rare by the water) to the 40's.  I do not cover the boat but put a tarp over the companionway.  I put clear gallon size food storage bags over the jib winches (the others are under the tarp) which keeps water from accumulating in the handle fitting at the top.  Condensation has formed under the plastic as I have a bungee cord around the base keeping the bag in place.  Should I be concerned about the condensation or is this a non issue?
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Jon Schneider

No, but, with the exception of iron, there's nothing to be gained by suffocating metal, especially when the effect allows condensation to build up. In the case of our winches (if they're Lewmar), they're made of bronze with a chrome finish.  There's no reason to keep them from the elements.  Let 'em breathe.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Jeff Kaplan

dave, i'm from nothern mass., boat fully covered, but i always put a piece of duct tape over the handle holes to keep any leaking water out. instead of a plastic bag, you might consider a set of nice fabric covers which are waterproof and breath. also, as part of the spring ritual, i always disassemble each winch, clean, and re-greese. we've got a long,cold, winter ahead but spring is in sight...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ken Heyman

This raises a broader issue that perhaps has already been discussed in the form but with an early and somewhat severe midwest winter, I've been thinking about the issue of freeze-thaw cycles. We've had a couple of those already starting in late November. Todays its in the 20s but will be 45- 50 by the weekend. Some folks shrink wrap and swear by it with the only criticism being lack of ventilation and cost. Some who have very nice well maintained boats do nothing & "let it snow".Alot of us put plastic tarps over the boom and a support from the mast forward and from the topping lift back. The problem with this is the bad angle caused by stanchions and life lines. Water doesn't always flow off and belly develops allowing accumulation of snow, ice & water. which I fear puts alot of asymmetrical load on the life lines and stanchions. I try to bail this out periodically. The best way to tarp the boat is with "hoops" like the shrink wrap guys use that don't allow for water accumulation. So as always cost vs. simplicity, vs. labor. ---choose your poison.
Happy New Year to all!
Ken

Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Jon Schneider

I'm in the camp of let it breath.  Of course, with an open-transom boat, I don't have to fear any cockpit damage due to clogged scuppers, but my prior boats all had traditional cockpits with scuppers.  I've never seen any severe freeze/thaw damage to my boat or any others in the yard, but I have seen significant damage to the stanchions and a lot of mold on other boats as a result of enclosure.  People will blame the freeze/thaw cycle for porthole and chainplate leaks, but I think the stress of sailing and the use of improper sealants (i.e., silicon) are the more likely suspects in those failures.  If I were going to cover my boat, I'd do it in the summer when the one sure enemy to fiberglass and varnish, UV, is doing its worst. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Jeff Kaplan

the first year i got #219, i shrinked wrapped the boat. the installer puts vent holes at the bow and stern so air
can move thru the boat, but this is a costly affair, and in the spring, you cut it up and throw it away, what a waste. each year since i have tried to come up with a better covering method. copying a friends method, i started using 3/4" electrical conduit, bending each piece to attach to a backbone i run from stem to stern, about the height of the boom, forming sort of a covered wagon effect. the ribs attach via 3/4" pvc tees and of course, vertical supports are used. i attach a rib to each stanchion post via wire ties. the first time i did this, i went back after a storm and found, as stated above, severe water pockets. this was not going to work, so the next idea was to buy a few sheets of 1/8" luan board, cut to fit over structure and shrouds, wire tieing to the ribs and then covering with tarps. i leave an opening at the bow and stern for air to flo thru and leave a port open in the boat. in the spring, no mold. some water still runs down the mast, but i fill the bilge with pink anti freeze. works ok and is fairly cost effective. just another way. it's always a challenge to keep our boats protected in these northern areas. btw, your frigid air from IL. is coming our way for the rest of the week. 0 degrees. go pats...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Look at my winter cover in Projects. 
Part of the "frame" is the lowered bimini bows and the dodger (which is completely up).  I have a 2x4 ridge from the mast forward and a single PVC pipe frame between the mast and the dodger.  It's worked well for 19 years. 
Will have to replace the side zippers this next spring as I did with the aft zipper this year.  Might have to even have a new one made in a couple of years!?!   Sure keeps the bird poop and leaves off of the gelcoat.  Nice to work in the cockpit in a Tshirt when it's freezing outside.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788