Chartplotter and Radar

Previous topic - Next topic

paule

I am looking to add Radar and chartplotter to my boat.  I have been looking at the Raymarine C70 or C80 can I get some feed back on these two units not many reviews on the units. Right now I am using a Garmin GPS Map 76 and have no problems sailing Barnegat Bay, but plan on moving the boat Punta Gorda area in Florida. 8) 8)

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Stephen Butler

We have sailed quite a bit in your planned area, and around Florida for that matter...good sailing, but usually "thin" water and "thick" humidity.  If the budget permits, the C70 was going to be our choice (sufficient visibility at the helm, good local service, and one of the easier units to master), but if there are priorities, I would suggest first adding some a/c, a bimini and connector piece to your dodger, additional fans (Hella are our favorites), and close mesh screens for all companion ways and ports (the 'no-see'ums are tough). Would also strongly suggest a fish finder type depth finder, to "watch" bottom conditions a bit more closely than the usual digital meter.   We currently use a Garmin 72 and Gamin 300 series, and paper charts, and have no problems with navigation.  Just a few thoughts.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

paule

Thanks for the feed back.
We have all but the AC and fans that is next also for the heads up on using the fishfinder for the depth.
Barnegat Bay is only 12'deep max to only inches so we are use to sailing in the shallows.

Paul :clap
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947