Sails in winter

Previous topic - Next topic

David Arnold

My boat was pulled out of the water before I was able to remove the sails.  Each time I have been to the boat since haul-out the wind has been blowing so I have been unable to remove either the jib or in mast furled main.  Any harm in leaving the sails on for the winter or should I make it a point to get to the boat on a calm day?
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Jon Schneider

Wow, I can't believe your marina will allow a boat to be hauled and rest on stands with its jib on the furler.  If the jib should unfurl and catch the wind, it could easily topple the boat (along with adjacent boats). 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ken Heyman

Last season a fellow next to us,  at the yard,had left his jib on. After a blow about three feet became unfurled. I notified the yard manager who was quite alarmed and had the sail removed shortly therafter. I agree with Jon that should it unfurl it could  topple the boat. Re: the main- the risk of unfurling seems to be less but  the sails like a more temperate winter climate. -----hope the winds calm down for you. At the risk of being obvious,make sure the sheets run free and are unencumbered when you unfurl the jib and then release the  halyard. The stakes are higher than when at a slip or mooring should a sheet become fouled.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

tonywright

Until you can get the jib off, make sure that you have a couple of extra wraps around the sail to prevent it from becoming unfurled. You can release one sheet at a time to accomplish this. Then make sure that the sheets are taut, and well and truly tied off at the bitter end. Then look for the first opportunity to get the sail off.

Re the furling main, I left mine in the mast with the mast down all last winter in Ottawa, with no ill effects on the sail. (The mast was aft side down on trestles and custom supports, with the slot open to drain.

With the mast up, just make sure that as much of the clew as possible is inside the mast slot. Removing it is recommended of course in order to have it inspected and maintained by the sailmaker (that's where mine is this year). But your boat is pretty new, so not much would likely need to be done this year.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Joe and Carol

We always remove our sails, properly folding them in sail bags and storing them in our basement for the winter.  The winter ice and snow, I think, would not be deterred by the covers.  We also remove dodger and bimini.  Why leave sails so valuable to your sailboat in the harsh winter environment unless you sail frequently during the winter?
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

tonywright

In my case last year the boat was shipped over land at the end of the season, and the rigger who decommissioned the boat recommeded to leave the sail furled in the mast to protect the furling mechanism during land transport. It worked very well.

In David's case his boat came out of the water with mast up, and he hasn't been able to remove the sails due to wind conditions yet.

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ron Hill

Your sails will collect all of the wood/coal/dirty pollutants that are in the air, especially when it rains!!

I'd watch the WX and the first day the wind slows - DROP the head sail and get off the main!!  Straighten them out later/fold them on a indoor basketball court.
Bet that you won't make that mistake twice!!!    :roll:
Ron, Apache #788