Garhauer Discount? / Motor Lift arrangement

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Does Garhauer offer a discount to C43IA members? I thought I saw something once on our sire about it.
It looks like I'll be mounting my radar antenna on the stern on their tower.

I will also be selling my existing Garhauer motol lift since the radar tower has one included.

Anyone interested?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ted Pounds

I don't think they offer a discount.  Their stuff is so inexpensive anyway, who cares?  :donno:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Mike, one of our Fleet 1 members obtained a discount from Garhauer years ago, don't know if it's still available.  Ted's right.

In lieu of simply selling your old lift, have you talked to Garuahuer about reusing parts of it with your new mast?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Stu,
Yes I did and although they are similar, they are not compatable. Even if they were, I'd be left with some leftover parts that were un usable to anyone.

Good thought though, Thanks
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

As a follow up on the discount issue, no I didn't get a discount on the radar pole I recently bought but what I did get was free shipping, no sales tax, and excellent advice and service from Mark at Garhauer. I am a very satisfied customer and was made to feel like part of the family and will go out of my way to do business with the company and the people of Garhauer.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Michael Shaner

QuoteI am a very satisfied customer and was made to feel like part of the family and will go out of my way to do business with the company and the people of Garhauer.

I couldn't agree more...truly a pleasure to do business with...a rarity in this day and age.
Michael & Alison Shaner

catalinamike

I also have had a really great history dealing with Garhauer going back 15 years.  Be advised that Mark also makes a modified setup to use your hoist singlehanded from the dinghy.  It makes it possible to land your outboard on the dinghy transom with one hand and control the line with the other.  Also there are 2 or 3 options on the lifting arm length and you can order the pole precut to different lengths.

You guys might also want to checkout their neat pivoting cam cleat that slides on your outside track to run your furling line through.
Mike Berlin
1996 Catalina 34 MkII,  tall rig, std keel
hull#1321

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

The radar pole I purchased from Garhauer came with a motor lift and since I already had a motor lift, I was going to sell the one I had, then I thought, I wonder if I could use them together as dinghy davits and I did.
It works pretty well, the only problem is that the arms don't lock, allowing side to side swinging but I was able to solve that by simply tying the dinghy's painter to a cleat on the boat. I'll have to get a picture next time I'm at the boat.
It may take some getting used to, to not have the visibility that I'm used to behind the boat but then I haven't deiced yet if this is going to be a permanent place for the dinghy, or just while cruising. A plus is that the mounts come off in minutes so there is a lot of flexibility. I normally keep the dinghy on the bow which is a little harder to get on and off.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on July 16, 2009, 12:35:19 PMIt works pretty well, the only problem is that the arms don't lock, allowing side to side swinging but I was able to solve that by simply tying the dinghy's painter to a cleat on the boat.

Mike, great idea.  You may want to consider finding another way to stop the swing by simply drilling a hole in the base of the verticals and inserting a screw into the black ball base mount.  If you do even only one, that may stop the swing, since you want to move to use for the dinghy motor.  There's also a hole in the circular holder on the pulpit that you could consider using.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Stu, good idea but the post is in two pieces so it would still be able to swivel unless I also pin the post where it slides together. The lift on the radar tower is connected via a gudgeon and pintle arrangement, similar to an external rudder. I'll try this for awhile and see how it works.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Yes, I forgot, but that would make the circular hole suggestion more viable, since I recall the split is below the pulpit.  Maybe, just maybe, without drilling anything, you could find a way to get a kinda shim in between the circular hole piece and the shaft to keep the old lift from turning.

OK, I'll quit now, let's go sailing!

Still, Mike, a very incredible and useful idea to keep in mind for the future.  Heck, sell the idea (for a huge $$) to Bill and Guido: they sell two poles, you rake in the dough!

One question:  What did you use to hold the dinghy up at the dinghy end, and what kind of dinghy?  Store bought straps, webbing, carabiners, attached where?

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Stu, I have a  West Marine/Zodiac 10 ft high pressure floor with a 6hp Mercury outboard. I made my own slings, one for front and one for the back,with left over 1/4 inch braid from the lazy jacks I made. I just tied to the existing d rings that the hand hold lines are going through, measured the length accordingly to reach with enough slack to be able to tie in a loop in the middle, tied to each d ring with a bowline and tied a overhand knot loop in the middle. I will change it to webbing with carabiners and a ring in the middle when I get back to the boat but was good enough to test my theory for now.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net