genoa replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

bfowler

I finally blew out my original genoa on my 1990, Sheer Bliss, and would appreciate any replacement suggestions.  Our winds here in SW Florida tend to be on the light side (less than 15 knots)and we use the boat in coastal cruising.  Any favorite sailmakers or special features that I should look for?
Thanks in advance,
Bruce Fowler and Sheer Bliss, #1055

bruce fowler and sheer bliss

jeff

Bruce
I bought a 155 from Schurr Sails out of Pensacola in November for my 1990 C34 #1102 Standard rig. I sail on inland lakes in Tennessee and like you experience light flukey air. I had the original factory 150 and was not at all happy with the performance. I also have the wing keel, so pointing was a problem also. I raced my last boat, a Cal 25, and was looking for a cruising boat when bought C34, but still want it to sail as well as possible. Schurr worked with me to provide a lighter weight and fuller cut genoa closer to deck with foam luff for my conditions.  Down side is that sail doesn't roll up quite as nice because of fuller cut, but they advised me of that going in. I also opted for a sock UV cover as opposed to sunbrella sewed on sail to save weight. However my experience has been that sock blows around causing forestay to pump in moderate air, so would not recommend sock. Genoa performs well - notice difference, particularly to weather.

Anyway, I was pleased with Schurr - all communication was handled over the phone; price was competetive with Cruising Direct, et al.

Jeff, Salty Dog #1102

Rodd C.

Try calling National Sail Supply in Florida. Dirk is who I usually talk to there. The prices are half what other lofts charge and the quality is better than my last set from Doyle! You can check out their web site and you'll find that they should have prices for all Catalina sails. I just moved up to a 36 and I'm planning on placing my order with Dirk within the next couple of weeks. Great service and great prices are hard to beat! Sorry I don't have their web site off hand but any search engine should be able to find them.
Good luck,

Rodd C.
Catalina 36

bfowler

I ordered a 150 made from 6 ounce crosscut dacron after reviewing your inputs, several magazine discussions and talking with my rigger.  I had a 17 inch pennant installed so that it is above the pulpit and I get pretty good forward and side vision-a big problem with the original sail.  The pennant reduced the sail area some so that it will be alittle easier to handle.  I wanted the 150 so that the boat would perform in a following wind.  I got inputs from several firms and chose Atlantic Sail Traders.  They did a great job (for $1350) including triple stictching and leather protection on the clew, and warranty.

The result is very impressive- it sails on all points far better than it has in the 6 years that I've had the boat.  I am delighted and wish that I'd done it long ago.

Thanks again, Bruce Fowler and Sheer Bliss

bruce fowler and sheer bliss