new fuel tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kaplan

several months ago, dave davis had a post on replacing fuel tank vs. clean out . i just got thru replacing mine on #219. i read all the past posts and figured that after 20 years, better to replace than take a chance of springing a leak. as dave wrote, the part #is 20791 but it cost me $331+ shipping across country for a total of $362-,right from catalina. much thicker alum. then one i removed, but there are some differences in design so that those of you looking to do the job, be prepared to make some minor adjustments. the tank itself is an 1" shorter, no big deal, but the vent fitting is about 6" toward the front and the ground terminal is by the fuel sender, where as mine was by the fuel fill. this required a new vent hose and i had to run a new 14g ground wire. again no big deal, but since you are working in such a small area, it gets a little tedious. also, the orig tank was held down with 6 screws. the new tank comes with only 2 holes. i drilled 4 additional holes, put washers under the screw heads, a little never-seeze compound under washers to prevent possible electrolysis, and screwed down into new holes, tank is not going to move. also, replaced all 3/8" fuel lines, return line was done last season. easy change out, few hours of work and for $362-, cheap insurance...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

mnewber

I purchased a 89 34 this late summer and had to do the same project.  I agree all the differences you found i did also!  One thing to consider when taking on the project is the level of fuel in the tank.  Mine was pretty much full.   :cry4`  So how do you drain the fuel?????
I wanted to do this easy project myself and not pay the boatyard so i needed to get enough jerry cans (walmart) to hold the fuel and someway to  siphon it out.  There are several options but here is the path i went.  I tried to gravity "siphon" the fuel out but that took way too long.  I didn't want to buy the manual pump (the safest route) and bought the cheaper drill pump (Shurflo) but could never get it to prime.  So i finally ended up getting a Jabsco from good ol West Marine for $40. and had it drained in less ant 30 mins into 5 jerry cans..   WORD OF CAUTION: YOU ARE WORKING WITH VOLITALE LIQUIDS AND ELECTRIC EQUIPMENT THAT CAN CAUSE A SPARK, IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED THAT THIS APPROACH BE USED. 
I addressed all the short runs (more trips to west marine) but i still have to get back to the boat to address the fuel sender ground wire.  I reattached to the new point but it still doesn't work, so my next project is to replace the complete run checking for proper ground. 
One remaining concern is the lack of proper secring point on the rear of the tank.  I find this a little concerning that there is no tab on the rear of the tank to secure it to the base board as on the front of the tank.  I guess that it would have to be very rough conditions to have issues but the potential is there.    :think
Anyone else that has done this project come up with a solution or is it really as much of an issues as I see it to be?

Stu Jackson

Any particular reason you chose not to use the built-in electric fuel pump?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mnewber

Inexperience probably! I think at the time I wanted to do all the work from one location.  and I was worried about burning out the pump but that may not be an issue?   
I did searches for the rear fuel tank mounting to look if others have discussed this but couldn't find anything. 

Jon Schneider

What did you do with the old tank and the scummy fuel which still remained?  I'm curious, because I'm thinking about doing this project, but waste disposal is one of the things holding me back (that and a general feeling of indolence and slovenliness).
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Gary

Jon,

I recycled the diesel fuel to our heating oil tank.  The fuel came out through the onboard Racor fuel filter via the fuel pump in to jerry cans.  It was clean.  I also purchased a Racor funnel with a fuel filter inside of the funnel to make sure of clean diesel going into the heating oil tank.  The very last of the fuel in the boats aluminum tank that could not pump out was very dirty (as was the tank) and not usable as fuel but we did use small amounts to facilitate wet kindling in the wood stove. 

Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Ron Hill

mnewber : Easy to connect a hose to the output of the electric fuel pump and let it do the work at no extra expense.  You can turn on the key switch and then turn on /off the battery selector switch to control the pump.  Easier that running up and down the companion way steps.

Most recycle centers have a container for the diesel dredges - I found some Kudzu vine that shouldn't have been where it was growing!    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

i knew that is was going to undertake the project, so i just ran the fuel down to below 1/4 of a tank. disconnected the fuel line before the racor, added a piece of hose, and used the elec. pump to fill up jerry jugs. turned on key at panel and used the batt. disconnect switch shut off pump when i needed to switch jugs. got about 7 gals out and that emptied tank, fuel looked good and there was no crud at the bottom  of the tank. thru out the tank with the trash and brought the fuel to a friend who runs a large trucking co. you can also add it to home heating fuel or give it to somebody with a diesel car. the old tank did not have any hold down at the rear and i figured that it stayed in place for 20 years, so no need to secure the rear of the new one. as i stated, i drilled 4 additional holes in the front hold down, drilled new pilot holes and sunk 6 screws. i am confident that this will last another 20 years...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

mnewber

Fuel tank disposal:  check with your marina, there may be metal recyclers that come through  I left my tank out by the office building and the next day it was gone.  The fuel was fresh and the old tank inspected clean so I replaced the fuel back into the new tank.  So ar so good.