Raritan Head Maintenance

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce & Sandi L

When at sea and not using the holding tank what is recommended for maintenance and how often?  Vinegar and vegetable oil have been recommended.  What portions and how often?
Bruce (Bugsy) Landolt
EZ DUZ IT
Hull # 203
Puerto Escondido, Baja California, Sur

Stu Jackson

The white vinegar is intended to break up solids that form in the outflow line from #1.  I recall weekly is recommended under heavy use, but I may be wrong.

The oil is intended to keep the pump seal lubricated, use as needed.

See reply #2 here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1198.0  for a discussion on heads from Peggie Hall.

Her book is available at www.catalinaonwers.com, well worth it for those who want to learn more.  A search on "Peggie Hall" (use the quotes to get the full name included in the search instead of each word) will find many references I have earlier posted to her fine work.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Vegetable oil is not a good idea because it will leave an oil slick ontop of the holding tank contents.  As a result, no oxygen gets to the contents to allow the 'good' bacteria to multiply.  You then have a smelly tank.  Read Peggie Hall's comments about this. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jon Schneider

Interestingly, while I've read Peggy's speculation on this (I for one, don't actually buy a lot of her conjecture), I wonder why she thinks that aerobic bacteria is better (i.e., less smelly) than anaerobic, which might occur as a result of being "capped" in oil.  I also wonder if she is right that oil will float on top of the holding tank contents.  It doesn't float on water.  What makes her think that it is lighter than... well whatever?  Also the cup or so that you would use occasionally to lubricate your head pump seems hardly enough to truly seal the top of your holding tank.  That said, I've always been suspicious of these head pump lubricants (commercial or just plain vegetable oil).  Do any of us really believe that oil can stick the rubber parts in the pump for much more than one or two flushes, especially of saltwater?  I actually don't think that any oil treatment can do much good (though I still don't trust Peggy's insights into the bacterial situation).  To the original question, vinegar will actually retard the calcium (or whatever) scaling that seems to occur in the basin.  This works whether your flushing overboard or into the holding tank.  Once a week works for me, but then again I only sail once or twice a week.  I suspect if you're on a voyage, the regular use of the head will naturally eliminate the scaling. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

Some other interesting information for "head users"  --- 

subject: Dry Pumping the Head

http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/pviewall.tpl?&fno=31&uid=73200280089&sku=2007313170702.6
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

John Langford

I open up the body of the head pump once a year and coat the moving parts (piston, rod, etc) with lanolin - real lanolin that you can buy in bulk from the drugstore. One coating of this tenacious stuff keeps everything running smoothly for the whole season. Since it isn't liquid it won't run into the tank the way regular applications of head lube or equivalent do so it may make the oil on water issue moot.

I can't remember where I read this tip but it works.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Bruce & Sandi L

Thank you all for your ideas. Next season I am going to rebuild the guts in the pump, and try John's idea with the lanolin. That really sounds like it will work. As for the rest of this season, I think we will go with once a week veg oil, and a bit if vinegar each night. Shouldn't hurt anything, and don't cost much.
Bruce (Bugsy) Landolt
EZ DUZ IT
Hull # 203
Puerto Escondido, Baja California, Sur