Low-friction Mainsail track systems

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

Has anyone installed a Low-friction Mainsail track system, how do you like it, and what are the negatives, if any?

Thanks,
Mike

foursailing

Mike,

On my old Pearson 30 I installed the Tides marine system.  System worked very well, but to be honest it might have been a bit of overkill.  Here's their link

http://www.tidesmarine.com/sail-track.html
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Mike Smith

Thanks, Bill

I'm trying to find as many installations and as much information as I can...

Mike

Rocco

Mike,

I installed the Tides Marine system on my MKII last spring and it has been great.  Combined with my upgraded masthead sheaves from garhauer, the main goes up as easy as can be and I'm able to tighten the luff up even with a full main.  The sail drops like a 500lb hammer though so you have to be a bit more careful.  Previously I would often end up with a batten twisted within it's pocket, but I have not had a single case of this since I upgraded the track due to the articulating batten slides; the main also flakes easier.  It's proven to be a simple and reliable system; I've been out in 40kts without any problems, the track is really tough. 
I had Kappa Sails attach the hardware to my main and they also measured and orderd the correct track.  I installed the track in about an hour; no problem at all (my mast was down, but it's also possible to install with the mast up).  The stack is a bit higher due to the more robust slides, but the factory sail cover accomodated the extra height with room to spare.  All in all, the second best upgrade I've done; the Garhauer EZ-Glide adjustable genoa cars being the first.  I also looked at Antal and Harken, but couldn't see a reason why I needed to spend 3X the money given the type of sailing I do.

Regards,
Rocco

Mike Smith

Bill and Rocco -

That is exactly the kind of critique I'm looking for.  By "factory sail cover" you mean the cover that came with your boat, right?  Where are you located?

Mike

Jim Price

Rocco, what kind of money are talking about?  The system components separate from the Kappa install bill.  I have a main from Kappa and is this someting you could do yourslef - meaning the slides and and batten attachments, etc. :?:
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Tom Soko

Mike,
I have also installed the Tides Marine Sailtrack system, and I love it.  The main used to require winching the last 50%.  Now only the last few feet require the winch.  I also used to need a downhaul, rather than go forward to the mast in heavy weather.  Now the main will drop neatly into the lazy jacks.  Attaching the slides was easy.  I cut off the plastic ones, and installed the supplied SS slides, using the pins and split rings.  I did not need to involve a sailmaker.  No downside, as far as I am concerned.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Rocco

As Tom mentioned, you may be able to install the sail hardware yourself.  The cost was $975 for all of the hardware and track.

Mike,  Yes, I was referring to the original sailcover with the C34 logo.  I'm located in CT.

-Rocco

Mike Smith

Hey, I think I've got a plan!  Thanks to all!

Mike

drtomiii

I recently cut down my tall rig to 48 ft above waterline...low bridges here on the Florida Panhandle.  My rigger suggested the Tides Marine Strong Track system of track and cars... I was having the main recut and made into a full batten main.  System is GREAT and total cost was around $1100.  Here is a link...  http://www.maurisails.com/Strong-Track-System.htm

Mike Smith

Hello drtomiii -

I appreciate your response to my post about low-friction Mainsail track systems.  I'm Mike Smith, Commodore of Fleet 8, C34IA, "The Emerald Coast Fleet".  We are a geographically challenged group of C34 owners ranging from Orange Beach, AL to Panama City, FL.  Our C34 enthusiasm is exceeded only by the distance between us!  Currently we have seven members and I would like to extend an invitation to you to join us!  The dues are $20 a year, and we actually do get together from time to time.  We also serve as crew to those interested in racing the C34 (Paul Sykes came in second or third in the Lost Bay Regatta recently out of The Point Yacht Club. with one Fleet 8 member as crew) and as a source of Local Knowledge for those of us who cruise.  So, if you are interested, just respond and I'll give you Paul's address!

Fair Winds,
Mike