Continued C34 Production?

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Blumenfeld

While I like my C34 and this board I wish they would come out with a 37 1/2 LOA.  My marina and others allow 3ft over the size of the slip.  Since the C34 won't fit in a 30' slip I'm in a 35' slip which would berth something 3 ft larger for the same price.  The C380 needs to be just a few inches shorter.  The 'Admiral' would like a big centerline aft cabin and would then spend more nights at the islands.
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

The c350 is 36'5'' and the c36 is 37'9''. Either of those would fit.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Paul Blumenfeld

I don't find the C36 a big enough difference to change boats.  I like the C350 but it doesn't have the large aft cabin like the C38x's.  The front berth isn't bad but the Admiral doesn't like it.

There just isn't a perfect boat so in the meantime I'll keep enjoying the one I have!
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

when we were buying we looked at both the 36's and 34's and as nice as the 36's are, there was just something about the layout of the 34's that appealed to us and we preferred the aft haed.I don't think you'll get "bang for the buck" than the c34
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

and the world's LARGEST V berth.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

and the Mk I's very large head!! ....  along with excellent engine access!!   :clap
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

Well would an end to Catalina's production of the 34 be good or bad for owners and the association?
Does it matter?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Most likely...

The two sides of the possibilities:

1.  Boats gain greater value because they are one of the best boats of it's size, easy to singlehanded, perfect for a couple, all the stuff already written in FAQs, boat builder is still in business, parts always available, etc.

2.  People avoid interest because it's an "old" design, no longer in production, it's not "cool" to have an "old" boat - of course, missing the point

No reason for the company to NOT stop production if people are buying other boats with maybe not such great sea keeping abilities, bigger boats make more $$, etc.

Either way, so much is directly proportional to how well your boat is kept up and maintained.  Ours is 21 years old, as are many others, and in wonderful condition with upgraded systems, thanks a lot to this website and its contributors.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

I just bought a 19 year old boat.   The fact that they are still in production didn't make a bit of difference in purchase decision.    There is a big difference between a two year old MKII and and nineteen year old MK1 even if they are basically the same boat.    I was comparing to other boats of similar price and vintage.    Having a strong association and a resource to draw on had a big appeal.   So value is probably more heavily influenced by the number of boats out there and their popularity and involvement of the owners.  Long term availability of parts etc is more dependent on size of the production run than anything else.

Now if you own a very new MKII it's probably a different deal.   The latest model Beneteau or Hunter or whatever that is still in production might have a slight advantage over a discontinued Catalina.   But in five years it won't make a bit of difference.   It's the boat that matters.   Look at a ten year old Hunter and it looks like a dated design sitting next to a C34 ten years older. 

If Catalina is still in business, it probably doesn't make a bit of difference if the model is discontinued.   

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Roc

I think the bottom line comes to profits.  Ultimately, a company is in business to make money, if they don't, they're out of business.  A company is going to put resources into products that would generate the highest profit with items that consumers want.  There would come a time when volumes of a particular product are not big enough to sustain the effort, and it makes more sense to commit resources toward another product (i.e. 320, 350?).  Maybe the orders for a C34 while still coming in, are at the point where Catalina feels they should target more effort in other sizes.  I work in the consumer products business in a very large company that makes products you use everyday.  Even if an item generates $1-2MM a year (a lot for us!), that might not be worth supporting and it's delisted.

The other thing I noticed is over the past several years, boat builders created a product line that had models available in one foot size increments.  That's when boat sales were flying through the roof and the company was able to sustain such a varied offering.  From what I see now, things have been softer, so builders may need to scale back.  I can see Catalina adjusting their line by updating it with the '0' models (310, 320, 350) and separating the sizes with more than just a one foot increment.

I'm interested to see what models will be shown at the upcoming Annapolis show.  I think last year, the C34 was not there.

I certainly would feel bad if the C34 would float no more in the Catalina product line.  But I am sure glad I got one when I did because she's such a wonderful boat to sail!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Larry Robertie

Roc,

At the Newport show this past weekend the Catalina's that were there were the - 440 Morgan (butt ugly, in my opinion), 42 with a Pullman berth, 387, 350, 320, 309, and surprisingly... a 28!  The presentation was put on by a broker, Eastern Yacht Sales, not Catalina.

I agree with waterdog's assessment that discontinuing production on any given model probably will not affect resale value for existing boats.  It's a different market, but I do think the new boat market, regardless of make/model, influences sales for used.  In fact, last year I had gone to the Newport show and sat with a salesman, going over the numbers for a new 310.  I had every intention of buying one, but after looking at the cost it was about 12% higher than I had anticipated.  Not huge, but enough to give pause.  Just as a "safety" measure I asked what else he had in slightly used and was pointed to Ruach.  I made an offer 1/2 hour after stepping on her.  Probably would have made the offer from the dock had the admiral not been with me.

As for what Catalina is going to do, I think it more beneficial that the company and it's brand does well.  Capital is a finite commodity and, as you suggest, a good company will put their capital to work on products that earn it the highest internal rate of return.  That's just good business sense.

Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

DougP

As much as I would like to see the C34 remain in production, I'm much more concerned at seeing a financially sound Catalina.
I keep wondering how many new boats bought in the past 5-10 years were paid for by tapping home equity. If that resource continues to tighten and/ or shrink I suspect new boat sales could be impacted quite a bit.
Doug & Theressa
Noeta,  #307
Gig Harbor Washington

lazybone

Quote from: Stephen Butler on August 22, 2007, 02:15:17 AM
This summer, we visited a couple of Catalina dealers, and neither of them were too anxious to quote or even discuss the C34.  Neither of the dealers even included the C34 in their pricing lists and model comparisons and summaries.  In both cases, the C350 was the model being "pushed."  While not actually saying so, the strong impression being communicated was that C34 production was about to end.  Has Catalina announced any plans to discontinue the C34? 

Maybe someone else with a better memory can fill in the blank but I can't remmember the last time I saw a 34 at a boat show (Atlantic City, Annapolis & Philly) and I've been going for more than a few years.  I don't think Catalina ever "pushed" our boat.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

David Arnold

I purchased a new 34 at the Newport Boat Show in September of 2004 which is the last time I saw a 34 at that or any other boat show I have gone to.  I liked the interior volume of the 35, the salon of the 36 but overall the best bang for the buck was without question the 34.  I have no regrets and anytime I go to a boat show I look at other boats and nothing measures up (in my eyes) to the 34.  Great Boat!
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Wayne

This past April at the Strictly Sail at Jack London Square (Oakland) both a 34 and a 36 were represented.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca