Continued C34 Production?

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Butler

This summer, we visited a couple of Catalina dealers, and neither of them were too anxious to quote or even discuss the C34.  Neither of the dealers even included the C34 in their pricing lists and model comparisons and summaries.  In both cases, the C350 was the model being "pushed."  While not actually saying so, the strong impression being communicated was that C34 production was about to end.  Has Catalina announced any plans to discontinue the C34? 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Roc

You make a good point.  However, someone that is selling something and 'pushes' one model over another might not be because that model is being discontinued. It may be that the dealer has more incentives and can make more profit if the C350 is purchased.  It is a higher priced boat.  I believe it's higher than the C36.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

karista

About a month ago I received a email from a large GA Catalina dealer, stating that the California based production of C36"s and C42"s are discontinued and that large boat manufacturing will be focused on the boats produced in Largo, FL.
I believe the C34 is produced in California!!!  :?`
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Craig Illman

There was a big discussion on the C36 mailing list about a week or two ago. It sounds like all the larger boat molds were shipped to FL from CA due to environmental constraints in CA. There was talk of a new style C36, a C360 or C367? Possibly the same will be happening to the C34? Like the C36 folks, I'd hate to see the C34 "Hunterized".  :cry4`

Craig

Stu Jackson

Then let's tell Frank and Gerry.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stephen Butler

Some good information and points.  An interesting aside...the Florida dealer that does not even list new C34s in their literature, will at the same time, gladly take any used C34 they can find...for an easy/fast resale.  I suppose that CY must build what will sell, and the trend is away from C34 type boats, but it will be a loss to those that actually what and use a coastal cruiser.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

tommyt

Although some dealers may push different models, especially those that they have IN STOCK, the Catalina website still proudly shows the C34 MKII. In the interest of facts and not WAG's on my part, I emailed Frank to see if he would respond to me or the board on the future of the C34.
If I hear from him I will post his reply.

Tom
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Well you can say what you want to about Catalina's response to emails but after reading this post I called Catalina in California and asked if Frank Butler was available. I was put through to him immediately! That says something to me that you can pick up the phone and talk to the president of Catalina Yachts. Try that with Hunter!

He said that toolings for the C36 were moved to Fla and they are considering doing that with the C34 and C42 because of EPA regulations but no decision has been made yet. He said that it's easier to produce boats in Fla.

As far as discontinuing any of the boats he was very positive about that NOT happening.

I also mentioned that some dealers were pushing other models other than the C34 and he had no knowledge of that and couldn't understand why that would happen and reassured me that they do in fact have C34's and C42's available at the factory

Just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that I picked the right boat to buy.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Mike : Good for you!!
You've just proved my saying:
"Talk to the manufacture and you're getting it straight from the horses mouth!  Get it off the internet and you don't know which end of the horse is speaking!?!"    :D
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Mike - Thanks for clearing up the rumors, but I expect whatever happens to the C36 will happen to the C34 a few years down the road.

Craig

Joe and Carol

For those who share the desire of continued production of the 34 may I suggest we communicate to Frank Butler updated change we would like to see in the C34 ?  These changes should keep in mind ease of introduction into the assembly process and stay in tune with established Catalina engineering.  Not to copy any other sailboat but to keep alive the purchase option of the traditional Catalina 34.  Those more knowledgable than I on sailboat engineering and accessories should be able to contribute the best of ideas to a sailboat manufacturer who listens and values his loyal customers.   :clap  I would hate to see the C34 retired by another Catalina design.  What a good project for the Catalina 34 Association?
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Even though the C36 production is being moved to Florida, their still planning to continue making them for a long time.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Roc

Would be interesting to see if the C36 produced in Fl will have a different non-skid pattern on deck.  Seems like the boats produced in Fl have that stucco look, which I feel is not as eye pleasing as the diamond pattern.  Kind of makes the deck look cheap.  I believe the C320, which is now made in Fl has that stucco pattern.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

karista

Just received the monthly letter from Turner Marine, a large Catalina dealer, the letter states that the Catalina 34 will be dicontinued after the last 10 in production will be finished. Also they will no longer produce the c36. They will produce the 47,42,40,38,35,32,309!!
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens and whose fibbing
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net