Engine alarm

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Bosquet

Have a 1989 c34 with XP25
My engine alarm now sounds off as soon as ehgine temperature reaches 145
Oil level is good
Cooling level is good
Water coming out of exhaust normally
Any ideas!! am on vacation and would like this resolved, Have rendez Vous with mechanic in a couiple of days,, waiting at anchor
Thanks
Paul
Eliosso, Lac Champlain, Vermont
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Ron Hill

Paul : Your problem is probably the temperature probe/sender switch that screws into the thermostate housing. 
Seeing as how you're at anchor here's what I'd try.  While the engine is COLD unscrew the probe - you may want to plug that hole so the coolant doesn't flow out.  Then clean and lightly sand the "inside" end of the probe.  Clean the threads on the probe and also the threads into the thermostate.  Reinstall the probe and see if that happens to fix the problem!

If it doesn't solve the problem then you'll need to get a new temperature probe.  Just checked the D950 engine and Kubota doesn't list a temperature sender, so you're stuck with Universal/Westerbeke prices.   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Paul Bosquet

Ron, Thank you for the info
Where is the probe located?
There is absolutly no other boat owner's website where one could get sucha quick reply
again many thanks
Paul
:clap
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Paul Bosquet

Ron,
Located the switch, will follow your instruction first thing in the morning and let you know about the results
Paul
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Paul Bosquet

Ron
Removed, clean and reinstalled sensor, no change
Willorder new one tomorrow morning and hope that solves the problemàAgain, many thanks
Paul

Would you by any chance have the Universal part number, the store does not seem to have it in the catalog
Engine , 1989 Universal 25XP
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Sailing Steve

Water Temp Switch - not a Water Temp Sender, as it is for the temp gauge.  Parts such as this one are the same for the M35 as the 25XP, so don't panic on the engine listed  :shock:

http://www.clrmarine.com/235.html

http://www.clrmarine.com/m4_view_item.html?m4:item=JHW30125

I BELIEVE the part numbers are the same regardless of whom you order it from.  I ordered mine from Chuck at CLR Marine, hence the website.
Steve
'90 Mk I.5 "L'Abri"
Hull# 1080

Paul Bosquet

:clap
Well, got the problem solved.
The problem was with the cicuit board located behind the engine instrument panel. A compromise had to be made .
The over heating alarm had to be disconnected completly and we installed a red light as a warning for low oil pressure.Will see if I can locate a new circuit board for the instrument panel, Any ideas where I could find one ?
Paul
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Stu Jackson

Paul, call Seaward, they made the panel.  Phone #s in your Mainsheet magazine or a search on here would most likely find it (it does, on pages 1 and 3 of the search results).  Thanks for reporting back and good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."