Red propane switch on the electrical panel

Previous topic - Next topic

kdexter

The toggle on the electrical panel that turns propane off/on is not lighting - however the switch does work.  Catalina 34-1989.  Any ideas?  I found a parts listing for an orange one, but ours is red. Thanks.   Kate

Ron Hill

Kd : The replacement switch that you're looking for maybe "red" or "orange".  The importance is that it's lighted to let you know that the switch is ON - not the color!  The other very important thing about that the replacement switch is will fit in the same size hole in your electrical panel !?!
Because Catalina changed the electrical panels (& size switches) in 1986 1987 1988 and 1989.  It's hard to tell you where to find the correct switch.  I believe that the smaller switch (which I suspect you have in 89) can be found at Seaward and the larger switch (like my 1988) at Seadog.  Most of the lighted switches like Cole Horsee are too large! Hope this helps!   :donno:
Ron, Apache #788

Momentum M

Kate...I've experienced this problem twice with my Mark II (2005).  One last summer and I had sent for replacement (I could get you this web site if you need) and I decided to order the blinking one (thinking that they may draw more attention if blinking).  I ordered 2 and, before receiving them, the original light stated to work again.  At the time, I had checked with my tester all possibility but couldn't find the problem.  One thing that I'm sure of is that a light (or bulb) is either OK or burnt.  Obviously that wasn't the problem 'cause it started to work again????  It had been OK since and this w-e, it started again????  I'll be having some time on the boat this coming w-e and I'll investigate again...but no promise that I'll find what is wrong!!
So I still have my 2 news bulbs in the original bags.
I wouldn't worry to much but you still have to remember to trip the breaker to "off" when done.  As a safety habit, since day one, when we're done using the propane, we always trip the breaker to off before closing the valve (that is the black control button on the face of the stove/oven).  When doing this you are basically bleeding your line and burning the gas that would otherwise still be in the line...between the oven/stove unit and the tank.  From the time that it's trip to off and returning to the stove...the flame is out.  Then I turn the knob to off.

Also, we had a discussion on the "solenoid" valve a while ago...I think maybe last summer and the solenoid (on ours and many others that did participate to the question in this forum) reported that it does get very very hot.  We kind of deducted that it's normal for it to get hot!!!
But keep in mind that when it gets hot...your using some energy provided by your batteries.  If you leave the solenoid on all night you may drain your batteries or worst..create a dangerous situation !!!!  I'll do a search on this forum to find the link and also I'll report my finding next week
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Momentum M

Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

Momentum M

Here is the link for the miniature lights.  You'll notice that the 2 models are available:  blinking and fix

http://www.wiringproducts.com/?target=dept_11.html
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

Ron Hill

Guys : Once again it all boils down to the size lighted switch that will fit in that panel!!   :donno:
Ron, Apache #788

Momentum M

Here's another mystery of life!!!!  I was going to check the bulb and electrical last w-e...and to my supprise the light DID work???   Now I'm puzzled again.  It's the 2nd time that it does that. 
Last summer...and the light started to work again after having order replacement....started to work again so I didn't do any repairs.  Now a week or 2 ago...the light wouldn't go on again.  I was ready to try to find the problem and...well it was working again.
Does any one have a slight idea at was might be the problem?  Even if the light doesn't come on, the solenoid does work and we can use the stove/oven.  So the breaker...well I think it's OK.  Now the bulb...my understanding ...it either burnt or not.  So, it's acting up prove to me that the bulb is OK.
I'll check the connection of the bulb to the breaker next w-e but if any of you might know the cause...it will be appreciated.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

Ron Hill

Serge : Those lighted switches have a neon light in side.  They can be cantankerous. 
Best thing is to just get a new one as the reason it's there is safety - so you know the solenoid is open(ON) and propane could be flowing!!  :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

Momentum M

Good point Ron...well taken.  I'll bring a replacement next w-e and change the bulb...at a cost under 4$ (ea.)... so why not.
Since I know that the present bulb was working last w-e...I suspect that the new one will also work.  So, until it goes out again (if it does)..., then I'll stop looking to find the problem ...hope not :clap
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

kdexter

Thank you all - just got back from Block Island-planned to go to Nantucket, but elderly dog issues and family visits to the boat meant we needed to be near the fast ferry. MOSTLY remembered to turn off the gas switch, but, I am looking forward to replacing that lighted switch!