Chain driven ferries - any stories?

Previous topic - Next topic

tonywright

We have a narrow part of the river that is currently served by a regular propeller driven car ferry service. (Two boats that leave the opposite shore simultaneously). Navigating past them is always an adventure, but pretty safe if you are careful.

Now there is a proposal to change over to a chain driven ferry, where the chain lies on the bottom of the river and is used by the ferry to pull itself across.

We have been given an opportunity to comment. So I wonder if anyone has had experience or has stories to relate of any problems navigating past such a ferry system? 

Thanks

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Kyle Ewing

There is a hand crank chain ferry on the Kalamazoo river in Saugatuck, Michigan.  I've passed it several times with no problems.  You're advised not to pass too close in front of or behind as the chain lays on the bottom of the river but is attached to the ferry.  In my experience pass it as you would an anchored vessel and you'll be okay.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Momentum M

Tony, we have 2 ferries that are cable driven (Bateau Chanel, near Gananoque, Ont.) and I've encountered them a few times.  Specially if your under sail....they'll give you the right of way but, if I can...I slow down and give them the right of way and I "always" pass behind them...and not to close if possible.  On the other hand, avoid passing in front unless you see that they've stopped and are waiting for you to pass.  As you probably know...they are pulling themself from one shore to the other one so the cable/chain in front of the ferry is tight and god part is in between the bottom and the front of the ferry.  On the other hand, whatever has been pulled is falling quickly to the bottom...this is the reason for passing behind.
Another point, I prefer this kind of ferry to the motor (w/o the cable) one 'cause this cable ferry as a lot more control of is boat.  If they decide to stop...they don't drift away with the current/wind...they just stay put.  So if you have a saying on this...go for it.

Serge
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Ron Hill

Tony : I'd guess that a chain drive ferry is like a cable drive ferry. 
Just give them a wide berth - especially in the direction they are moving!!  The cable/chain is slack off their stern, but taunt off their bow.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

tonywright

Thanks guys. I did a Google search and found eg the Poole Harbour Ferry in UK that records 2-8 collisions a year with sailboats. But it sounds as though the sailboats are driven into the ferry by wind and tide, and the ferry cannot manouver out of the way! 

The best seems to insist on a bylaw that I have seen for some of these ferries that they must stop and give way to other passing craft.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Fuzzy

Tony:
We have a cable "guided" ferry here on Lake Charlevoix, MI.  The ferry is