New Owner!

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat R

Hi gang!
I am about to sea trial a 1987 C 34 next week and was wondering if there's anything in particular that i should look for. I have a surveyor coming along, but I thought I would put it to the council. Thank you - Pat.

Stu Jackson

Hi, Pat and good luck.

Try here first: http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-c34-purchase.html

Then read some of this: http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html

These are starters for your purpose.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Pat R

sdaly66

Pat,

I just bought an 87 this past March.  The PO took exquisite care of her, but here are the things to look for (things that mine had).

Always always always get a hull moisture test.  Mine was good - has a good barrier coat, but make sure your surveyor has the gear to conduct the test and knows which placeS on the hull to check.

Look for water in the rudder as well.

Many PO's disconnect the shower sump and let the shower drain into the bilges.  Not really a problem, but don't be surprised if the shower sump doesn't work.

Trim on the inside of port windows gets brittle.  This is "show" only, doesn't cause a leak, but surprisingly expensive to replace.

Hatch dogs don't last 20 years.  Be prepared for them to be bad.

They'll flag you on the electrical unless the PO did an upgrade.  Also there was no GFI on the 87's, you'll have to do that yourself.

Look CAREFULLY at the head.  Mine was not in great shape and I'll be replacing it in the next couple of weeks.  Stock head that year was the Groco HF - not a bad head.  BW has them for a lot less than WM.  Mine has two problems...

The joker valve was seized, but I freed it by letting vinegar sit in the head for a few hours then flushing it through with a lot of fresh water.  However, bigger problem is the pump valve (intake) won't shut.  The effect is, if you leave the seacock open, even for just a short time, the head fills with bay/lake/river/ocean water and stinks.

I also recommend springing for the waste deck fitting insert.  Lots of pump out stations don't have the adapter needed to pump out the holding tank.  WM $15 or less.

Have the surveyor check the steering cables.

Look for oil leaks in the engine, lots of them leak and it may or may not be an expensive fix.

But let me say this.  My move was from a C 250 to the C 34.  I can't imagine being happier with the mix of value, performance, and features.  This is a FABULOUS BOAT.

Pat R

Thank you for that SD I really appreciate it. We're moving up from a C 30 and are really looking forward to it. - Pat

Stu Jackson

Also try this: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=663.0

Do a search on the word "weblog" and you'll find more good "look for" material.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."