Looking to upgrade 25-34

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse CAmp

I am currently researching the sailboat market for a Catalina 34 in the 1992-1993 year range. These seem to be the earliest years of the open transom and 30 hp 4 cylinder diesel engine. Question:  are there any particular issues or problems with these year boats.  Is there a benefit to going to the 30 hp diesel , less vibration and noise better fuel economy?  Or downside, hard to access or service. I hope to actually make a purchase next year.  I now sail a 87 Catalina 25 here on the ICW/Indian River at Cape Canaveral, Fl
Thanks for the comments.

Best Regards,

Jesse Camp
Sea Trekker  87 5550 25
Merritt Island, Fl

sdaly66

Jesse,

I can't speak to the years that you are looking at, but I just made the move from a 250 to a 1987 34.  It's a great move.  I couldn't have made a better choice.

Ken Juul

Open transom's started in 1990.  The 30 hp was available as an option then, the standard was the M25xp, so don't limit your search to 1992/3.  I think you will be happy with either engine you get, it is a great boat.  I have not seen the 30hp installation, it has an extra cylinder so it will be longer which will reduce the amount of space you have to work in the hard to reach rear end of the engine/transmission.  As a part of your boat shopping experience I would look at boats with both engines and compare.  As a point of reference last week we were motoring into 16-18kts in a 2-4 ft Chesapeake Bay chop.  At cruise rpm of 2400 we averaged between 4.2-4.8 knots with a 3 bladed prop.  In those conditions, not sure the extra HP would have done much, maybe increase the average to 5kt?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Craig Illman

Jesse - I have a '91 with the M25-XP, I motor about 6.2kts, 80% power, flat water, 3-blade fixed pitch prop. Jack Hutteball has a 2001, a M-35, his boat does about 7 kts with the same conditions and power. I don't think you'd see any vibration differences and the M35 will consume more fuel to push the boat at the faster speed. They still sail the same. I love my boat more every day.

Craig

Wayne

I have an M35; I think engine access is really pretty good as compared to most other boats.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Joe Kern

Jesse - Where do you keep your boat?  I am at Harbortown.  I have a 2005 34 MKII and a 270 before that.  I assume you probably have already been on a few, but if you want to check out the Jenny Jewel I would be glad to let you take a look and/or join me for a sail outside Port Canaveral or on the Indian River.  I am over there most weekends.

Joe
gtrbone@cfl.rr.com

Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

frankr

We upgraded from a C250 to a 1989 C36 last year - very happy with the boat, handling and all the extra space.