Unresponsive Customer Service from Catalina

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyt

I understand peoples frustrations with customer service at every level with every company. At the same time, I have had a few problems, worth about $3000, on my 2004 C34, and Frank Butler has stepped up to the plate both times. Communication was somewhat frustrating, (yes every email I received was also received in letter form and it was typed on a typewriter I think) but every communication was acknowledged and taken care of. Wish I could say that with service issues on everything from cars to appliances!

Heaven forbid Catalina is swallowed up by someone else. If that happens I thiink that you can be very certain that finding parts available for 5 year old boats will be a problem, let alone 20 year old boats. Tell me that last time you were able to get immediated service and parts on an appliance or an OLD car. Think how frustrated Frank must be in some of the changes that have occurred in his industry that affect his ability to service problems.

If Frank brought in a business guru to speed processes and improve profitability ( just like any big corporation that might ever buy them) the first thing he would do would be to cheapen the boats more and cut parts inventory. Watch out what you wish for. Like elections, sometimes it is not what you thought it would be.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Rick Johnson

I consider myself a loyal fan of Catalina Yachts.  I have owned a 30 and a 34 and I'm now considering a 42.  But I cannot understand making excuses regarding Catalina's customer service.  All my issues have been minor, but I have yet to have Frank Butler answer the phone when I call.  I have even dropped by the factory in CA and he didn't even offer me a cup of coffee (perhaps it was his day off).  I have had great experiences with a number of companies in the marine industry.  Weems and Plath, Xantrex, Blue Sea, even Raymarine all stood behind their products and communication was great by email or by phone...  I think poor customer service is the first sign that a company has started down the wrong path.  I would hate to see Catalina sold or go out of business, but they need to fix both their quality control and their customer service.  If not, they will go the way of so many other companies who went out of business in spite of a good product.
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Joe and Carol

It is always interesting to see customer demands satisfied.  Shipping time.  Availability.  Pricing. Proper fit and performance.  Some of us are happy.  Some are disappointed.
     Catalina represents a classic yacht company. . . perhaps void of newest production marketing lures planned to mass satisfy a growing demand for quickness, speed or cookie cutter parts. . . yet still a leader in the industry of American manufacturing.  I believe Catalina can remedy customer complaints better than the rest. 
     Frank Butler gets no criticism from me because he uses a typewriter or his staff doesn't immediately answer an Email.  Frank receives my compliments as an owner available to visit and discuss rather than immediately take your order.  There is a wealth of Catalina after market parts from many sounces. Plan ahead.  Increase your inventory of back stock when you find availability.  Catalina loyality receives its best reward. . . even with patience. . . and some form of communication. . . prevailing above the hunters or concessionaires of other competing sailboats.
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri