loosen main halyard to increase sail draft
6 (11.1%)
lower traveller
43 (79.6%)
ease the genoa/jib sheet
3 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Ken Juul

Your beating up wind in 10-15 knots true.  Without reefing, which choice will help reduce weather helm while minimizing speed loss.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve S.

When you say lower traveller, do you mean ease the traveller so there is less power in the main?
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ken Juul

yes.  But that gives the answer away.  If you look at the other choices, this is the only one that will depower the main.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Although it may have given the answer away, the term "lower the traveler" is mis-leading. I couldn't figure how you could do that unless you were going to physically move it from the coach roof to the cockpit.

Silly me   :lol:
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

When sailing closehauled, one side of the boat is higher than the other, the windward side.   :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Ken : We've beat this problem to death!! 
Crank in some back stay adjuster, flatten the main and you're good to go - decreased WX helm!!  Or get an new elliptical rudder.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Aw, c'mon, Ron, some of us actually MOVE our travelers!   :rolling
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Heyman

I was going to weigh in re: the elliptical rudder but Ron beat me to the podium. The tendency to round up and/or the ability to control it is significantly reduced by the elliptical rudder. I agree, however, that easing the traveler (next to reefing)is the adjustment that gives one the biggest bang for the buck.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il