Live Aboard Ports in S.Carolina, Georgia, N. Florida

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Lindrup

I am looking for advice on good live aboard ports as I near my retirement years. I would like to consider S.Carolina, Georgia or N. Florida. I own a 1986 C34 Hull #39, located in the Great Lakes now. I also have read about other C34 owners doing more than just coastal crusing as my second question is can you really ocean cruise in a  C34 to Bermuda, Bahamas, Carribean etc because that is what I would like to do by basing the boat in the S.E. US. I am thinking that eventually I will need to sell my C34 for a more ocean stable model,Island Packet or some full keep version.  Advice please.
Tom Lindrup
Chog In, Hull #39
Whitehall, Michigan
Sailing Waters: Lake Michigan
Tom Lindrup
tlindrup1@gmail.com
Hull #39   1986 C34 "Chog In"
Sailing Waters: Lake Michigan & White Lake

Ted Pounds

I think the C34 could easily do the kind of sailing you're talking about.  However before venturing offshore consider doing the following:
-Replace all standing rigging.
-Recast or replace rudder.
-Thoroughly clean (or better yet replace) fuel tank.
-Acquire storm sails and other offshore safety gear.
-Hire a GOOD surveyor to do a THOROUGH survey.
I'm sure other folks can add a few other items to this list.

A good place to check out for offshore safety requirements is: http://isaf.com/offshore/2006/OSR2006_Mo3Liferaft_250106.pdf

The C34 has sailed to Hawaii and I'm sure done many other significant offshore passages.  Good luck.  I'm sure a lot of us here will envy you.

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stephen Butler

I would also suggest a hatch board for the foreward bomar hatch...or replacing the lens with a thicker piece of plastic.  Just a thought.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Tom Lindrup

Quote from: Ted Pounds on June 04, 2007, 09:00:42 AM
I think the C34 could easily do the kind of sailing you're talking about.  However before venturing offshore consider doing the following:
-Replace all standing rigging.
-Recast or replace rudder.
-Thoroughly clean (or better yet replace) fuel tank.
-Acquire storm sails and other offshore safety gear.
-Hire a GOOD surveyor to do a THOROUGH survey.
I'm sure other folks can add a few other items to this list.

A good place to check out for offshore safety requirements is: http://isaf.com/offshore/2006/OSR2006_Mo3Liferaft_250106.pdf

The C34 has sailed to Hawaii and I'm sure done many other significant offshore passages.  Good luck.  I'm sure a lot of us here will envy you.

Thanks for all the good advice. Tom Lindrup
Tom Lindrup
tlindrup1@gmail.com
Hull #39   1986 C34 "Chog In"
Sailing Waters: Lake Michigan & White Lake

Stu Jackson

Tom, many C34s have sailed to the Bahamas.  Our "sister ship" C36s have also traveled far afield.  There was an article in Sail or Cruising World a few years ago about a C36 that had been really tricked out for long distance passage making, inclining adding bulwarks all around.  You may also want to check the C36 IA website.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."