Hump Hose

Previous topic - Next topic

steve stoneback

Yesterday I removed the exhaust riser being it had a small amount of play at the flange.  It was leaking a little exhaust which was evident by the black on the heat exchanger.  The riser is stainless steel and appears to be in good shape so a new gasket on the flange and sealer on the riser should be all that is needed.  As long as I have got the riser off I plan to install an new hump hose.  I have read many posts that talk about an 8 inch and a 6 in hump hose.  Measuring my old rigid hose, it's 9 1/2 inches long.  Most said they had to cut off a little bit to make it fit.  Any idea why mine is longer? ...... and a solution being they don't make a 10 inch hump hose?
By the way my engine has just under 450 hours but is 18 years old so failure of the seal doesn't suprise me.  At least the riser hasn't failed.... yet.
Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Mike Denest

Steve,
When I replaced my cast iron riser with a stainless riser, I purchased the 8 inch hump hose from Catalina Direct.  In order to get the riser to fit on the flange. I trimmed the hose until the mounting studs aligned with the mount holes.  Turned out to be about six inches or so.
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Stu Jackson

Steve, the distance between the port (under the head sink) end of the riser and the top of the muffler is determined by the number of turns you put on the flange at the manifold end.  Having just had the assembly apart, it would appear that you will need to reseat the riser on the flange to get the distance down so that the 8 inch HH will fit.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

steve stoneback

Thanks Stu,
I haven't yet seated the riser to the flange so I will just wait and do it during assembly.  I see in your picture you used something under the clamps to keep them from cutting into the soft hose.... leather I assume.  I will do the same as I am not buying 30$ worth of those "special" clamps.

As always this MB has an answer, or at least a viable solution.

Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Stu Jackson

Steve, the picture is from Ron Hill's Projects article, Single Hump Hose: http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-single-hump-hose.html  It also discusses the material under the clamps.

The installation directions about the number of turns on the flange to get the riser in the right spot are in FAQs, Exhaust Riser Replacement:  http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-exhaust-pipe.html  Ron's part of the discussion is a few parts down the article and includes:  "Screw the exhaust riser into the flange until you get the angles aligned properly."

Glad to hear you don't have anything to rip apart!   :D

It's nice that this MB has answers, and we continue to try to help provide references to the material that has been published. 

That's why Jon Schneider's New KNOWLEDGEBASE   http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3362.0  is so incredibly helpful for research.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

steve stoneback

If anyone is interested in the current price and part number for the 8 inch hump hose it is....... from Catalina parts, part # 80648, cost $41.07 + shipping and from Catalina Direct, part #F8002, cost $47.03 plus shipping.

Rather spendy for a 8 inch hose, but much cheaper than a new aqua muffler.

Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Ron Hill

Steve : As mentiond get your angles aligned and then put on sealant and retighten.
I also use leather "cushions" unall of the fuel lines so the hose clamps won't cut in.
The hump hose is one of those items that you shouldn't have to replace again !   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788