Nothing is foolproof, because fools can be quite ingenious.

Previous topic - Next topic

sailmed

Down to the boat Friday to prepare for the weekend, and to commission for the summer.  Filled the water tanks fore and aft, purged the air from the lines, primed the pressure pump and...voila!  Had NO flow for hot water side of system.  The cold water flowed well, however.  I checked all the valves and could find nothing awry.  Since I had let the Marina winterize the system, I check everything from stem to stern and finally found the answer:  the small bronze in-line check valve at the water heater connection had been removed and reinserted by the technician backwards!  I just reversed it's orientation and...success!  I only wasted an hour of my time.  Maybe this posting will save someone else an hour or two someday.  Best wishes to all for a safe and fulfilling season.

Joe and Carol

Checking for water leak found I had removed the wash down nozzle forward and thus was pumping all holding tank water out the hose in the anchor well when turning on water pressure.

Sometimes we are our worst enemies.  Discovered I was the problem after tightening all water line clamps, replacing a suspect hose on the water heater, and then listening to a friend when upon looking in the anchor well asked me why my anchor line was so soaked?  Lights came on!

It's always important to think out a system before it out thinks you!
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Stu Jackson

Barry, thanks for the input.

"Maybe this post..." will encourage others to DIY.  The repeated dependency on dolt mechanics continues to amaze me.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Vaccaro

Stu--I'm with you! I'm much happier screwing it up myself, it costs less.  Don't believe that I've ever had a mechanic or boat yard refund any money for jobs they've managed to screw up...

Cheers,

Vac
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Ron Hill

Guys : I agree with Stu and Mike.  Might as well give the mechanic the item you couldn't fix in pieces!!  You'd be surprises and proud of youself when you fix an item    :clap
Ron, Apache #788