tachometer

Previous topic - Next topic

brant

Even after looking at the teleflex website, I can't figure out which tachometer I need to replace the one in my c34, l988 model.  And I can't get to the old one until November as the boat is in Panama.  Does anyone know exactly which model is the proper replacement?  Many thanks!

Ron Hill

Brant : Call Teleflex (941)907-1000 and tell them that you have a 14 pin programable tac with a flat glass face.  They will give you the model# and you can order one. 
I mentioned this in the Mainsheet tech notes awhile back.  GREAT INFO IN THOSE OLD MAINSHEET TECH  NOTES!  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

To access the new "Knowledgebase" which includes all those articles sorted conveniently by topic, go to: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3362.0

I occasionally make this a sticky topic which appears at the top of the Message Board list.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

I did a Ctrl-F on the word "tach" and found:

Feb 1999 issue of Tech Notes.  For C34IA members: http://www.c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/1999_no1.pdf
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Mike Smith

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 27, 2007, 04:28:41 PM

I did a Ctrl-F on the word "tach"
Stu - that sounds illegal!  :oops:

As circumstances go, my tach dropped to zero today, so tomorrow I'll start tracking down the connection.  Does the tach wire connection at the alternator have a rubber cap?  I glanced at the back of the alt and there were two connections visible from above - one outboard with a bare hex nut and one inboard with a rubber cover.  The word "tach" is hand written exactly between the two connections!

Mike

Ron Hill

Mike : I'll guess that your loose wire/connection is at the alternator, not the instrument.  All the viberation is at the alternator.  A thought   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Sailing Steve

Mike:

If memory serves me correctly, the "tach" wire off of the alternator to the external regulator is white, and from the regulator to the tach itself is orange.
Steve
'90 Mk I.5 "L'Abri"
Hull# 1080

Stu Jackson

Wire color coding can be found on the Engine Wiring Harness post at:  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-harness-upgrade.html

See the wiring diagram files at the end of the post.

Ron Hill

Guys : As I mentioned in the wiring harness upgrade article I wrote -- cut a wire and connect it to the "euro block"  ONE by ONE. 
I've talked to many people that confirmed my experience that the color coding that Catalina used in the wiring harness upgrade instructions was a mith!!  I'll bet that 25% of my wire colors didn't match the colors of the instructions!!

On trouble shooting you'll have to trace the wire from one source to the other to make sure that you get the same correct wire!!   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Smith

Right on, Ron!  Never did trust the color coding...

Mike