Xantrex chargers and Honda generators

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

I posed this question to Xantrex Technical Support:
Can you please tell me the maximum input AC wattage that the Truecharge 20+ and 40+ battery chargers would require?  I occasionally want to use a Honda 1000 watt AC generator to power the charger and want to be sure that it that the model I buy does not require more than the generator will deliver.

And I got this reply:
The specifications you asked for are as follows:

TC20+  414W at 120V
TC40+  765W at 120V

The total input power required will be higher if the input voltage is lower than 120VAC.  Inversely, if the input voltage is higher than 120VAC, the total power required will be lower.  The maximum power the charger will require is at 90VAC (the lowest voltage the charger will accept) and is as follows:

TC20+  585W
TC40+  1080W

I have installed the Truecharge 20+ and would expect the Honda to run it comfortably in "econo-fuel" mode.

It is interesting that one cannot directly extrapolate input AC wattage requirements from output DC wattage (which in the case of the Truecharge 20+ would be about 264 watts as the charger - true to its name - does deliver up to 22 amps).
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ted Pounds

John,
That's good info.  I'm sure everyone appreciates getting the real numbers from the factory.  :clap

The difference between input and output power is always there in any energy conversion.  The difference is lost in heat.  That's why the Truecharge has those big aluminum fins on the sides.  You'll also find that the horsepower of the Honda is greater than the electrical power output.  I still remember the three "alternate" laws of thermodynamics: You can't win; you can't break even; and you can't get out of the game.   :D
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Chris Martinson

John:

I reviewed the info in the Xantrex book and checked on this web site........I already had the Xantrex 40+ and went with the 2000 Honda.  From what i could tell - the 1000 would probably be okay most of the time but when the batteries were very low or moderately low and I was using another A/C applicance - mirowave etc that the 1000 either wouldn't cut it or run too long at the high RPM.  Honda only recommends very short times for the highest RPM.  Also a factor was that I don't run the generator all the time and do my battery charging while using other applicances...and want to run it on the quiet setting...doing both at the same time lead me to the 2000.  The other deciding factor is that once you use it - you can't return it so I wnet with the bigger one.  Only real downside is I have the MKI and it doesn't fit in the lazarette.  i run it dry each time and store it under the nav station.  Last item - I read on one of the posts to use a mat underneath when running it by the mast....I tried this and it made a big difference....don't really know it is there.

Chris
More Therapy
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945

Kelley Dean

Chris-
What kind of mat do you use under your generator when placed in front of the mast? I use an old towel just to keep the rubber feet from leaving marks. Some type of thicker material makes sense as it will help absorb some of the vibrations.
Kelley Dean

Andiamo #726
Narragansett Bay
Warwick, RI

Stu Jackson

Mat?

Try a simple painter's knee pad from Ace Hardware?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Terry Forshier

I have been searching for something like this also and came across this. (see link below) These pads are made to reduce vibration. I am going to try one when I start on my soundproofed box. (or housing for my Honda 2000)

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/vibrationpads.htm

Ron Hill

Guys : Posted this before, but worth repeating. 
I put my Honda on one of the rectangle kneeling pads that you can get at a hardware or kitchen store.  It really reduces vibration to the deck!
Depending on where you run the Honda make sure that it's level.  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Chris Martinson

These are are good ideas and probably cheaper than what i use - I use an old blue sof seat closed cell "pad" which was cut from an old seat cushion from another boat that I use when working on my boat.

Chris
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945