Kayak Racks

Previous topic - Next topic

Mert Gollaher

After I asked this question originally in 2009, I did buy a set of the Garhauer racks.  I haved used them for three seasons and am quite satisfied.  They are sturdy, and I have had no problem with a 2 person, 13 foot, SOT kayak.  When we race, I drop the kayak a the slip, and ease the L-shaped bar back along the lifelines.  A sheet has occasionally gotten caught on them, but it has always been easy to free.  If seas are heavy or wind is high such that heel is difficult to manage, I move the kayak to the deck and fold in the racks.  I find the value of getting the kayak off the deck in most conditions well worth the 100 boat dollars.

Mert
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

RonE

Hey mert,
Here is how I carry my SOT kayak, (if the image trnsf works) I dont think I would carry it in heavy seas, but for my usually weekender to the Highlands, hudson river or the Sound it works for me. I have seen the stanchion racks carrying smaller kayaks, curious to see how yours looks, sounds like its the same SOT I have.
Ron

mel low

I bought two inflatable kayaks from West Marine for my three month trip up the inside passage. They worked out well. When not in use they were deflated and stored on the front deck. They were easier to get in and out from the boat then our hard kayaks. On long passages or heavy sailing they were put back into their storage bags and taken below.