Harmonics

Previous topic - Next topic

David Comando

Last season I started to hear a high pitch sound when Kindred Spirit was under power. It would occur at a certain engine RPM (2200+ or - 100 RPMs). It would go away at lesser, or higher RPMs. The sound is like if you run your finger around the edge of a wine glass. This year, after its launch, I heard the sound again. It goes away at in between RPMs but occurrs again at a higher pitch if I power up to 2500. Some things to note: I do have the packless fittting on the drive shaft. I burp it after launch and SCUBA bottom cleanings. I did have a problem with the seal sticking and after I popped it I sprayed on some WD40. I have suspicions that it's the packless fitting, but how do I get rid of the sound?

Dave Comando
Kindred Spirit #55
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

Stu Jackson

Dave, two of the hardest things to do on this message board is to help with sounds and smells.   :cry4`  There's a lot of space "down under" and to even begin to help we'd need to know much more.  Things like where the noise is coming from, i.e., engine, prop, outside, inside, go a long way.  Issues to check are the cutless bearing, prop alignment, engine mount condition, transmission, alternator itself, alternator belt tension, and condition of your stern tube and hose.  There have been some earlier posts on this MB on noise that I do recall, so do the, you guessed it, search, and also check the Knowledgebase [http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3362.0] for any info under the categories that are logical (engine, prop shaft, stuffing box, miscellaneous) that Jon Schneider has developed for us.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fuzzy

Dave:

Another thing to check is the  prop.  Sometimes if they're real sharp on the edges they will or can
create vibrations that could cause a squeal.

Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Ron Hill

Guys : Another thought on a squeal a different RPMs. 
Make sure that when you paint the strut and shaft that there's still plenty of room for the cutless bearing to have water flowing thru it!!!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

David Comando

Thanks for all the info. I did a search as Stu recommended and saw numerous entries with similar situations. Now to try the remedies...
Dave Comando
Kindred Spirit
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.