Standing Rigging

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

New rigging installed, mast restepped.  Won't have access to a Loos guage until next weekend.  The shrouds are feel about as tight as they were before. I am a bit concerned because both the uppers appear to be too short.  I can see one or two threads in the turnbuckle, but the cotter pin hole is still out of sight.  Going to let it sit all week under tension, maybe I'll get some stretch.  Is this normal or should I be on the phone to Catalina?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jeff Kaplan

ken, you should have many more than 2 threads showing and definately, a cotter pin is a must at both ends of the threads so the stays don't come apart at the turnbuckles. i will be surprised if you get that much stretch to make up the difference...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Steve Sayian

Ken,

I had a similar problem on my old C-30 with short uppers.  I solved it by adding a short extension at the base of the turnbuckle.

The 30 also had an inboard and outboard hole on the chainplate.  Don't remember if the 34 is the same.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Bob K

Ken,
Same problem on my boat.  One side barely makes it for the cotter pin, and the other side has none.  There are more than 2 threads though.  Has been this way since I purchased the boat, and I think it is the original rigging.  I'm leaving mine alone, as there is one cotter in the turnbuckle, so it can't turn.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Ken : From what you've said the rigging in question is TOO short!!!   
The end of the threaded pins inside the turnbuckle should be half way between the inside ends and touching each other.   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

All is well.  I had all the rigging too loose.  With 18% of breaking strength on the uppers the cotter pin holes were showing.  The entire rig is much tighter than it was before...should have borrowed that Loos gauge years ago.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA