C34 Shallow Fin Keel

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Martinson

Sorry - my definition of wing keel is apparently off - I had a hunter with a wing keel and the "wings" were mid way up the keel....it was a lousy boat that didn't sail well at all....my first reply should have stated shoal draft.  I actually do have the "wing" at the bottom of the keel....I didn't think Catalina made a straight fin.so in my hurried response I used the work fin...didn't mean to mislead anyone.  Regardless...it sails great and I haven't had any issues other than the infamous catalina smile at the hull and keel joint (which by my research isn't any more than an aesthetic issue)

Chris Martinson
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945

nrwoodside

Hello,
I have recently been looking at an '87 C34 with the shoal fin, drawing 4'8", according to the owner. The rudder appears to be approximately the same draft as the keel, although I haven't measured it. The broker I am working through was a Catalina dealer for many years and says the first 2 or 3 years of the Mk 1's were offered with the 4'8" fin as an option. The keel looks fatter then a regular draft version, as you'd expect; I don't think it would perform quite as well upwind as the deep keel, but the tradeoff is access to thinner water.
Good luck with your search,
Neil

Jeff Kaplan

neil, my 1986 has that 4'8" keel setup and i have no  performance problems upwind, reaching or downwind. being able to be in shallower water is also a comfort...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma