Vented loop between macerator and thru hull?

Previous topic - Next topic

foursailing

I"m finishing up a complete over haul of my head and holding tank - replaced tank, hoses (with odor safe) and head with PHII.

The only thing left is to connect the Macerator to the thru hull fitting.   I've checked the Catalina manual and it indicates there is no vented loop.  However when I look at the Jabsco manual it appears to call for a vented loop when the thru hull discharge is below the water line.  The PO installed a grey water system so the pump was disconnected.

Was not able to locate any previous posts on this subject - other than installing a shut off valve between the tank and pump (as per Stu) - which I am in the process installing.

Thanks,

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Tom Glennon

When using my macerator, I open the seacock just prior to flipping the switch, and then close the seacock immeadiately after switching off. No vented loop which makes shortest distance for pumping.
Aslo, no open seacock for an idle pump.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Stu Jackson

Bill, I agree with Tom, and that's what we have and how we do it.  Might want to check over at www.catalinaowners.com for this discussion: http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/pviewall.tpl?&fno=21&uid=73200280089&sku=2007120083738.91

Peggie Hall on that forum is a good information source, but in this case, I think we're on the mark.

Nice selection of the PHII.  There's a member, Jophn Langford, who posted recently asking about whether the PHII handle will fit in the head.  If you could take a picture and post it, I'll advise him of this thread or perhaps he'll see it himself.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jeff Kaplan

bill, i completely replaced the sanitation system when i bought #219 3 years ago. got most of my advice from peggy hall, the head mistress, and she recommends a 1" vented loop in the line. for what its worth...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

foursailing

Tom, Stu and Jeff - thanks for the info!  Looks like I'll go the non-vented route.

So the other question I should have asked - do I need to install a loop (unvented) so that the top of the loop is above the water line or do I just do the shortest distance from the macerator to the thru hull seacock - is that normal practice?  Sounds like that's what Tom did?

Stu - I'll be by the boat this weekend and I'll take a few pictures.  The handle definitely fits.  The cover for the back portion of the base still needs fitting otherwise it was a straight forward installation. The odor safe hose was pretty easy to work with.
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Stu Jackson

Answer:

do the shortest distance from the macerator to the thru hull seacock
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jeff Kaplan

bill, i still support the vented loop method. i also asked peggy if i need a loop above waterline or as you stated, a straight line to seacock. again she said use a loop, not a straight line. also, i never leave the seacock open until i use the maserator...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma