Combination Light / Extractor Fan for the Galley

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

Plowed through a few upgrades on the boat this weekend.  Plumbed new drains in the galley sink, splashed some teak oil around, added a new mini shop vac to the equipment inventory.   The best addition by far was a new light / extractor fan for the galley.   

It's a unit manufactured by Oceanair.   It fits nicely into the existing vent which puts in a perfect position for lighting the galley.   Really moves the air and stops that pot of pasta from giving the boat a major sweat on a cold day.   Power consumption for the fan was pretty minimal so I just wired it together with the light so both come on together with one switch.  Another wire and switch would allow independent control.   

Shoots two rabbits with one bullet as they say in Russia. 

http://www.oceanair-marine.com/en/m/br/brv_en_m.php
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Bob K

Interesting light.   Were you able to hide the wiring?  How much did it cost? (I couldn't find the price on the website - it did not seem to be working well.)
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

waterdog

I bought it from a local marine supplier called Steveston Marine.   It's listed on their website for $60 US.   A little web work and you'll probably find a US supplier. 

And I had very good success hiding the wires which is to say, I went with white wire and you hardly notice it!   If I find some nice conduit, I will dress it up.   One of these days I'll go get a US money order, send it Stu for my membership, access the tech notes, and find out the magic secret for gaining access under the headliner to run wires. :D

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

sedelange

Did you install this in the dorade vent outlet or did you replace an existing solar vent?  I am considering replacing the solar vent in the head with one of these lights, but I am not sure what to place over it on the outside.
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

waterdog

I installed it in the dorade vent.   

The head could use a combo light/fan, but it's not an area on the deck where you want a big cowl sticking up.    Why not just leave the existing solar vent in place as a nice low profile weather cover?   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

sedelange

I would but i not sure they are salvageable.  This boat was damaged in Katrina and I am rebuilding it. 

Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas