Catalina 34 Main Sail

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe and Carol

Todays harsh winds took a toll on our old main.  Noticed when flaking to cover a vertical tear is starting at the top of the main sail.   Will repair the tear, but it looks we may need new sails. 

What's the best suggestion for longest lasting durability?  We cruise inland fresh waters.  Need two reef points with full battens. Want to buy new sails.

We have a roller furling 155 Jib. The jib probably also needs replaced.  Both sails have been refurbished in past but believe they are original 1987 sails.

Where do you suggest we begin our search?  Quality versus price?  Sails tailored for the 34?  Package deals? 

1987 Tall Rig
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Stu Jackson

Joe,

here's a starting point from a search on "new mainsail": http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2709.0

You might try other combinations of searches, like "main sail" with the space between the words.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Price

Joe, I recently replaced the main on our boat (1991) with sail from Kappa Sails.  I met Clark Bassett at the Annapolis Show in 2005 and was impressed with him and his information.  Small but great loft.  Prices are competitive.

The link is  http://www.kappasails.com

He delivered ahead of schedule and I am very pleased.  The main I have is a 2+2 (full / partial) with lens foot shelf.  Clark even added slugs on the foot as my old sail outhaul never worked due to a tight bolt line in a narrow track.  Difference of day and night now.

I am very pleased.  Removed most of the weather helm I had experienced but beware!  The sail is cut with full roach giving me 267 sq ft vs. the original main at 243 sq ft.!  I am still learning how to use this sail but the boat flies even with an old 145 headsail - and as I said, she stays up without a fight.  Just my opinion...   :thumb:
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Steve Hansen

Jim

Do you find any problems with tacking i.e. Does the roach catch on the back stay too much? I too am researching a new main sail and remember seeing a post on a full roach catching the backstay in light airs. Did your sail include reef points? What is a lens foot? looks like a good sail based on what was said on web site.

Steve
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

Rocco

We also had Kappa replace both Main and Genoa last year.  We chose the Kappa Performance Dacron Main (4 full battens, 2 reef points) and the Reefable Genoa (135%).  I can't say enough on how great Clarke Bassett is to work with and how much we love our new sails.  Weather helm is significantly reduced and she is much better balanced (the old main was "blown out"); the difference in performance is amazing.  Our main has a full roach and we've had no problems coming across the backstay when coming about.  The lense foot gives you some of the characteristics of a loose footed sail; allowing you to tighten the foot for up-wind performance and loosen the foot for additional fullness when reaching (I'm sure someone else can do a much better job of explaining this).  The design of the reefable genoa gives us great performance when reefed, we handled 35 plus knot winds without any problems by reefing the genoa down to almost a storm jib and the unique design of the reefable genoa maintains it shape very well when reefing. 
We also added the Strong Battcar system when replacing the main, I had several questions about this system and Clarke Bassett explained everything very patiently.  Kappa measured my mast, checked the track type, ordered the Strong system, installed the Battcars on the main, and equipped the main for our Dutchman system; I installed the Strong track myself along with ball bearing halyard sheaves from Garhauer.  The difference is amazing.  Raising and lowering the main is almost effortless and there is no more twisting of the battens in their pockets like with our old main.

I highly recommend Kappa Sails.  They are competitively priced and Clarke Basset really goes the extra mile to ensure his customers are happy.

Regards,
Rocco

Jim Price

Rocco has said it all.  I don't have the Strong track but Kappa did replace the "sewn on slugs" with shackle attached slugs which greatly improved the raising and dropping of sail.  Sail is double reefed (I don't expect to ever use second point), cunningham cringle,  and flattening reefing point that allows you to snug down the clew to flatten the sail or in the case of very hot days, and since I have a high bimini, I can use this point to lift the boom enough to keep the bimini up and the Admiral shaded.

Rocco, I am jealous over the reffing genoa - wish I had that also, maybe later.   :cry4`
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

Joe, in an earlier thread, Graeme from Australia asked about jib sizes, as you did too although many response pertain to your main.  Here's a link to that discussion which may be of interest to you, too.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3470.msg19160#msg19160
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joe and Carol

Just talked with Clark at Kappa Sails Shop and we are drafting proposal for new sails.   :D

We like the reef able head sail.  Are we correct to stay with a 150 or should we have a 135?  Our personal wind limit at Stockton is 30-35 knots.  We cruise more than ever race.  But we enjoy trimming to get the most speed we can have fun enjoying!  Understanding the increased main sail area of Kappa sail, we're thinking a 135 head sail might do just as well.  We have the Garhauer 5:1 Traveler.  Still have orginal block and line vang.  Would the 150 affect more cruising speed?  This is a tall rig.

We're going with 7.6 fabric weight, full battens, two reef points, cunningham and flattening reef.

Appreciate all given input.  :clap  We looked at all suggested sites and searches.  :thumb: Welcome any last advice as we make this investment in our Catalina.

Joe and Carol
YachtaSea
#244 TR, Fin Keel

Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Jim Price

Why not get some additional advice from Clark and follow up direct with Rocco?  Compare notes and go with one.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Rocco

Joe,

Geneva had her factory 135 Genoa when we purchased her two years ago and given that most of our sailing is in and around Buzzards Bay (generally quite windy), we didn't feel the need to go to a 150.  I'm happy with that decision; we ultimately hope to equip with a cruising spinnaker and I'm also contemplately the addition of a whisker pole and track the next time we step the mast.  That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with the 150.

-Rocco

Joe and Carol

Thank you, all.  I agree.  Speaking again with Clark, we decide on the 150.

With our new bottom job and the new sails we hope to improve our knot making!

Cheers!
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244