continuous line jib furler

Previous topic - Next topic

sdaly66

Hi folks,

Another of the unfamiliar features of my new 87 is the continuous jib furling line.

Did a search and saw the topic mentioned, but in terms of upgrading, not in terms of "how to"

OK, technically I know this is a furler question and not a C 34 question but I have to ask.

The line goes around the drum and then aft via a couple of blocks attached to port side stanchions, reaches all the way past the coaming winch.  So length and accessibility are no problems.  But here's my question.....

How have folks managed the end of the loop when furling and unfurling.  I don't have a block at the back of the loop - not that I think one is needed.  But how have folks managed the line, particularly when sailing with a few turns in the furler.  I made it fast to the horn cleat - that was the best solution I could come up with at the spur of the moment.

Has anyone added handy hardware, or have a handy technique for managing this.  Previous boat had a single line - not the continuous loop.

Thanks.

Stu Jackson

Shawn

A search on Hood furler found this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2279.0

Many have this furler and have upgraded it.  If you do the search you'll find many posts that discuss what it entails and how to do it.

Anything "on" your C34 is worthy of a question.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ed Shankle

I have a horn cleat on the outside of the coming about 2 ft forward of the docking cleat. Did just what you discribed, tied off with half hitch; double line. After make the switch to the single line, just added a block to the stern post and again tied off at the cleat.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA